M&S opens its 1st sustainable learning store in India
Marks & Spencer (M&S) has opened its first high street sustainable learning store in India at South Extension Market in Delhi – as part of M&S's drive to become the world's most sustainable major retailer by 2015.Trading over three floors, the new 20,000 sq ft store hosts a range of sustainable construction and design features to reduce energy usage and waste.
The store will provide M&S with valuable insight into sustainable building practices in India, which it will use to support future projects in the country.
Yogesh Yadav, M&S Store Manager at South Extension Market, said:
“We're delighted to open our new store at Delhi's premier shopping destination. It's a pleasure to welcome customers across Delhi to our first sustainable high street store, which not only helps the environment but also provides us with invaluable learnings as we continue to build our presence in India.”
The store is one of only a few retail outlets in India to apply for a Gold LEED rating – which recognises its sustainable features, including:
• Heat transmitting glass helping to maintain in-store temperatures and cut UV ray penetration by 90%;
• Solar reflective tiles that keep the store cool;
• Use of ENERGY STAR certified equipment;
• Energy meters to monitor the store's energy performance;
• Rain water harvesting;
• Dedicated recycling bins;
• The use of rapidly renewable raw materials, such as engineered wood;
• Excellent public transport links and reserved parking spaces for car pools.
In addition to its sustainable credentials, the store also offers this season's latest collections and M&S' exclusive innovations across womenswear, menswear – as well as accessories, sleepwear, lingerie and beauty.
Luke Banks, Head of Buying and Merchandising in India, commented: “It's a pleasure to open our new store in Delhi with our latest fashion collections. Customers can choose from must-have bright colours across our clothing and accessories ranges to elegant tailoring and vintage-inspired lingerie. In menswear, we've translated key British heritage styles into a stylish collection of quality wardrobe staples.”
Examples of M&S' popular clothing brands at the store include:
• Autograph – Luxurious, chic and sophisticated, the range embodies understated, international style.
• Limited Collection – Sexy, edgy and confident, the collection knows how to turn heads.
• per una - Alive with romance and drama, the clothes are feminine, vibrant and passionate.
• Indigo Collection – Soft, pretty and coordinated casualwear, the collection is perfect for women who need easy style for a busy life.
• M&S Woman and M&S Man – Stylish, dependable but still inspiring, the range brings you the great value clothes you love.
• Blue Harbour – the clean, masculine range offers men considered style, where casual can still be smart.
• Collezione – Inspired by all things Italian, the range expresses confidence and attention to detail in every suave, stylish piece.
• North Coast - is a relaxed attitude to life, reflected in a casual, laid back look.
Marks & Spencer opened its first store in India in 2001 and in April 2008 signed a Joint Venture with Reliance Retail to form Marks & Spencer Reliance India Pvt Ltd. M&S now has 25 stores located in Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Amritsar, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad.
Marks & Spencer (M&S)