CMAI signs MoU for “Japan India Fashion Trade Forum”
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed between The Clothing Manufacturers Association of India (CMAI) and the Japan Fashion Week Organization, for the forming of the “JAPAN INDIA FASHION TRADE FORUM” (JIFTF), on 30th April, at Udyog Bhavan, New Delhi.
The MOU was signed by Rahul Mehta, President, CMAI, and Hitoshi Okamoto, President, Textile Division, Itochu Corporation, and witnessed by the Hon. Minister of Commerce, Industry, and Textiles Sh. Anand Sharma from the Indian side, and Hon. Minister for Economy, Trade, and Industry, Japan, Yukio Edano from the Japanese side.
The Indian Board of the Forum will consist of Leading Members of the Textile Industry, representing various Sectors of the Industry, including Exports, Retail, Import, Trade, Research, and Media. Similarly, the Japanese side will consist of Leaders from various Trade Bodies playing an important role in the furthering of Trade between the Two Countries. The List of the Indian Board Members is enclosed.
In view of the varied and Independent Associations and Trade Bodies to cater to specific areas of business interests in India and Japan, there is need for one coordinating body which will mutually guide Japanese and Indian Businessmen to meet the long term and larger business objectives for the Fashion, Textile, and Accessories Industries of both Countries.
The Japan India Fashion Trade Forum having Representatives from both Japan and India will act as the central coordinating entity. The Main Objects of the MOU are:
To promote Business and Trade between Japan and India in the fields of Textiles, Garments, Fashion, Accessories and also provide Technology and Manufacturing Support and Education to achieve the following objectives :
1. Textiles, Apparel and Accessory Exports from Japan to India
2. Textiles, Apparel and Accessory Imports in Japan from India
3. Manufacturing base in India to cater to Key Markets Globally
4. To explore Domestic Market opportunities in Fashion Brands and Retail in India
Activities of Japan India Fashion Trade Forum
1. To Develop and recommend a Calendar of Activities to promote Japanese Fashion, Textiles and Accessory Industry in India and Vice Versa
2. To identify appropriate Trade Bodies and Associations in India and Japan for tie ups and promotion of different objectives
3. To identify and participate in existing Trade Events and Fairs already established in India and Japan through relevant Associations
4. To identify key specific needs and create focused events to promote those objectives
5. To promote and coordinate Business Level Delegations between Japan and India
6. To undertake Research to Map Indian and Japanese Textiles and Apparel Market in terms of target market segment, size and opportunities for Japanese Fabric and Garments in India and lay a road map for achieving business targets.
The Clothing Manufacturers Association of India (CMAI)