- Sales rise to £1.26 billion, up 18.8%
- Full-year pre tax profit falls to £55.1 million or 18.3%
- Ongoing robust performance in core Sports fascias which continue to provide investment platform for future profitability in JD in Europe. In the UK and Ireland, these fascias contributed an additional £4.7m of operating profits in the year (before exceptional items) and we are building an appropriate store base in Europe for future success there.
- The good performance in the Sports fascias has continued in the current financial year with like for like sales growth in the UK and Ireland stores (excl Champion) of 1.9% in the 9 weeks to 6 April 2013.
- £14.9 million of operating losses (before exceptional items) incurred in Outdoor fascias but performance improving now that new management team has been installed with stocks being better managed, store investment commenced and ongoing cost reduction programme to deliver benefits in the current financial year.
Like for like sales in Outdoor in the current financial year have benefitted significantly both from the recent sustained cold weather and a sustained clearance programme from January through to March.
Peter Cowgill, Executive Chairman, said:"The core Sports fascias in the UK continue to produce excellent results and provide the Group with a very solid foundation for ongoing profitability and cash generation.
"We are pleased overall with the start that we have made to the new year. A very considerable amount of reorganisation in both Outdoor Retail and our warehousing and distribution operations is now behind us and this should benefit trading in the balance of the year.
"The Group is exceptionally well positioned with its retail proposition, financial resources and extended management experience to take advantage of opportunities both in the UK and internationally.
"Whilst the Board recognises that recent acquisition activity has impacted on short term returns, it remains confident that the Group is well positioned to deliver earnings growth and increased shareholder returns over the longer term."
Click here to read full results.
Textiles | On 29th Apr 2017
The textile sector could have a uniform Goods and Services Tax (GST)...
Textiles | On 29th Apr 2017
European Union (EU) rules are needed to oblige textile and clothing...
Apparel/Garments | On 29th Apr 2017
The forecast for operating income growth in the US over the next 12...
Colorjet India Limited
We would like to venture more companies into the Indian market
Poojaa Kumar Deepak
Zeven's performance sports apparel is designed for the Indian body type,...
Mangalam Industries Pvt Ltd
‘The manufacturing sector is improving day-by-day, becoming better in...
Swerea IVF AB
Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...
About one in every 20 patients picks up an infection while hospitalised....
Steve Cole of Xerium Technologies discusses the industry. Xerium is the...
Label Ritu Kumar
‘Classics will return’ "There are a lot of people wearing western clothes ...
Golfwear and menswear brand Devereux is set for greener pastures. Robert...
"Now we can see the Russian trend in international fashion. And Russian...
Apparel/Garments | On 28th Apr 2017