First Quarter 2013 Operating Results:
- Net sales increased 3% to $508.5 million from $496.0 million in the first quarter of 2012.
- Comparable sales were flat following a 4% comparable sales increase in last year's first quarter. This includes e-commerce sales, which increased 48% to $70.7 million. In last year's first quarter, e-commerce sales grew 28% to $47.9 million.
- Gross margin declined to 33.6% of net sales compared to 38.1% in the first quarter of 2012. Merchandise margin declined 240 basis points driven by increased promotional activity. Buying and occupancy expenses as a percentage of sales increased 210 basis points, in-line with expectations.
- Disciplined expense management led to lower selling, general, and administrative (SG&A) expenses of $112.6 million versus $114.2 million in last year's first quarter. As a percent of sales, SG&A expenses improved 90 basis points to 22.1% of net sales compared to 23.0% in the same period last year.
- Operating income was $58.7 million, or 11.5% of net sales, compared to $74.6 million, or 15.0% of net sales, in the first quarter of 2012.
- The effective tax rate declined to 39.6% compared to 39.9% in last year's first quarter.
- Net income was $32.4 million, or $0.38 per diluted share, compared to net income of $42.1 million, or $0.47 per diluted share, in the first quarter of 2012.
- Capital expenditures totaled $16.9 million, consistent with the first quarter of 2012.
- Real estate activity for the first quarter of 2013 is detailed in Schedule 4.
First Quarter 2013 Balance Sheet:
- Cash and cash equivalents totaled $244.2 million versus $180.4 million at the end of the first quarter of 2012.
- As expected, inventory rose to $226.3 million, an increase of 12.8%, compared to $200.6 million at the end of the first quarter of 2012. The calendar shift due to last year's 53rd week accounted for approximately 4.0% of the increase. Inventory per square foot increased 6.0% compared to the comparable period in 2012.
- Long-term debt was relatively unchanged at $198.9 million, with no borrowings outstanding under the Revolving Credit Facility.
Textiles | On 27th May 2017
The Fabric of Change initiative of Ashoka and the C&A Foundation is...
Textiles | On 27th May 2017
To support the textile sector in Pakistan, finance minister Mohammad...
Sedo Treepoint GmbH
We see a higher demand in colour management systems, as customers see big...
We are spending double digit figures on R&D
Hindoostan Innovation Centre
‘Modern technical textile is an indispensable tool for science and...
Suominen Corporation is a manufacturer of nonwovens as roll goods for...
InvestKonsult Sweden AB
Investkonsult Sweden AB has been buying and selling second-hand textile...
Paolo Ocleppo, Rotary Cutting Segment manager, Sandvik Hyperion discusses...
Apparel/Garments | On 26th May 2017