- Group Sales +2.5% to £1.48bn
Group like-for-likes -0.7% (H1 -3.3%; H2 +1.7%)
UK like-for-likes -0.5%, (H1 -3.1%; H2 +2.0%)
New Look Europe like-for-likes +3.2%
Online sales +50.1%
- Group adjusted EBITDA + 29% to £189.2m
- Underlying operating profit + 84.2% to £115.5m
- Profit before tax of £3.1m (2012: -£54.5m)
- Free cash flow +9.9% to £88.6m
- Gross margin +2 percentage points driven by tighter stock controls and lower markdowns
- Successful refinancing extends maturities to 2018, improves capital structure and reduces PIK by 50%. Net debt of £1.1bn
Operational & Development Overview:
-Three point turnaround plan of cost savings, profit margin improvement and revenue growth is delivering real results
Success of multi-channel strategy:
- 2.5 million visits per week to newlook.com
- All e-commerce orders now fulfilled within our Lymedale distribution centre
- Investment into business made from cost savings across New Look, including roll out of Click & Collect, Order-In-Store and improvements to our online channel
- 145 stores now in the new “Concept” format. Remaining stores to be refurbished over 3 year timeframe
- Greater flexibility within our supply chain resulted in shortened lead times and a 16% reduction in total markdown and discount. Full price sales mix up 3.3 percentage points
- Maintained and extended market share in key categories: denim, dresses, knitwear and footwear
- Positive momentum in our International business. Appointment of China management team complete, developing plans to open our first Chinese store in March 2014
Current Trading and Outlook
Looking ahead we expect the economic outlook to remain challenging. However, we are confident in our ability to maintain the positive momentum generated by the improved value and appeal of our ranges, our store refurbishment programme and continued growth in e-commerce.
Alistair McGeorge, Chairman, said:
“I am delighted to report that our three-point turnaround plan of cost savings, margin improvement and revenue growth enabled us to deliver strong results and continue to re-invest in our business. The strength of our financial turnaround has also enabled us to address our capital structure, with the successful refinancing of our debt, extending maturities to 2018.
"This gives the business a five year runway for Anders and his team to continue to improve performance, drive forward our international expansion and develop further our online and store development. Our long term goal remains the same: to de-lever the business through profit growth and strong cashflow.”
Textiles | On 12th Dec 2017
Coats, the world’s leading industrial thread manufacturer, has...
Apparel/Garments | On 12th Dec 2017
India has imported $87.4 million worth of readymade garments from...
Leadership & Sustainability
Sustainable models are beneficial for brands, retailers and manufacturers
‘One of the recent trends in hand block printing is the indigo process,...
We are spending double digit figures on R&D
Conceived in Europe and curated in New Delhi, NeceSera is a...
Softech Controls Private Limited (SCPL) is a part of the Cotmac Group, an...
<div>Jaipur-based Fabriclore Retailing Pvt. Ltd. is attempting to revive...
Larry L Kinn
Larry L Kinn, Senior Vice President - Operations Americas of Suominen...
Swerea IVF AB
Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...
Bombay Textile Research Association
Bombay Textile Research Association (BTRA) is a leading name in textile...
Bridal couture created with rich Indian heritage, exquisite craftsmanship...
Occasions Elegance Wear
It is believed that by early 19th century, Varanasi weavers had moved away ...
Label Ritu Kumar
‘Classics will return’ "There are a lot of people wearing western clothes ...
Apparel/Garments | On 11th Dec 2017
Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?Yes No Skip
Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?Yes
Total Votes: 92
Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?Yes No Skip
Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?Yes
Total Votes: 92
Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?Yes No Skip
Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?Yes
Total Votes: 92
Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.
Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?Yes
Total Votes: 92