Robert Hanson, Chief Executive Officer, stated, “Our second quarter results reflected disappointing product execution in women’s. Additionally, we faced a highly promotional and competitive retail landscape and a decline in traffic, which have continued into the third quarter.
“We are working hard to strengthen our assortments, marketing efforts and overall execution, while maintaining tight inventories and disciplined expense management. Although extremely disappointed with our results, I’m confident in the strength of our brands, our strategic initiatives including, factory stores, aerie, omni-channel and international, as well as the team’s resolve to regain momentum and improve our bottom line performance.”
Second Quarter 2013 Non-GAAP Results
The following discussion is based on Non-GAAP results for the comparable quarter last year, as presented in the accompanying GAAP to Non-GAAP reconciliations.
- Total net revenue decreased 2% to $727 million, compared to $740 million last year.
- Consolidated comparable sales, including AEO Direct, decreased 7%, compared to an 8% increase last year. Second quarter 2013 comparable sales are compared to the 13 weeks ended August 4, 2012.
- Gross profit decreased 11% to $245 million and, as a rate to revenue, decreased 360 basis points to 33.8%. The decline is primarily the result of higher markdowns and the deleverage of rent on negative -comps.
- Selling, general and administrative expense of $186 million increased 5% from last year and deleveraged 160 basis points to 25.6% as a rate to revenue.
- Operating income decreased 56% to $29 million, resulting in a rate of 4.1% compared to 9.1% last year.
- EPS of $0.10 compared to adjusted EPS from continuing operations of $0.21 last year, a 52% decrease.
Click here to read full results
American Eagle Outfitters
Textiles | On 21st Jun 2018
Protectionism is the biggest political factor and threat affecting...
Textiles | On 21st Jun 2018
The price ratio is a key factor for the global knitted fabrics market ...
Apparel/Garments | On 21st Jun 2018
Leisure sneakers dominated US footwear sales between May 2017 and...
Overall, Union budget 2018-19 is very balanced
Sedo Treepoint GmbH
We see a higher demand in colour management systems, as customers see big...
Giovanni Pizzamiglio, Paolo Crespi & Riccardo Robustelli
Epson, For.Tex & F.lli Robustelli
‘The percentage share of printing in the global textile market is pretty...
Aizome, Asia's first Fairtrade denim brand, is all set to launch next...
<div><b>Liz Manning</b>, Business Development Manager at Catexel, has...
MAG Solvics Private Limited was established in 1991 to design and develop...
About one in every 20 patients picks up an infection while hospitalised....
Biovation II LLC
Kerem Durdag, CEO, Biovation II LLC, provides an insight into future...
Suominen Corporation is a manufacturer of nonwovens as roll goods for...
Yash P. Kotak
Bombay Hemp Company
One of the directors of Bombay Hemp Company, Yash P. Kotak, speaks to...
Whistling Woods International School of Fashion
<div>A lack of upgraded courses in costume designing and fashion as per...
Bridal couture created with rich Indian heritage, exquisite craftsmanship...