Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / UK sportswear market grows 5.4% in 2012
UK sportswear market grows 5.4% in 2012
27
Aug '13
Research and Markets estimates that the UK sportswear market grew in value by 5.4% in 2012, with sports clothing accounting for approximately 71% of total market value and sports footwear making up the remaining 29%.

Participation in sports and activities can directly affect the sportswear market, as increased participation leads to a greater demand for functional sportswear, and increased popularity of performance-enhancing goods.

Despite government efforts to raise the fitness of the nation through national governing body initiatives and interest generated off the back of the London 2012 Olympic Games, the latest figures from Sport England actually show a decrease in sports participation for the beginning of 2013.

Furthermore, changes in fashion are generating growing consumer interest in sportswear purchased for aesthetic purposes, especially among the fashion-conscious youth market. The impacts of these issues and other factors such as economic considerations, the effect of the Olympics, the structure of the industry and the introduction of innovative technology are all discussed in detail in this report.

In terms of the global market, Nike and adidas are maintaining their presence as market leaders both globally and within the UK market. With increased consolidation and closures of sportswear companies in recent years, there are fewer competitors in the UK market in terms of both brands and retailers.

Retail giants Pentland Group and Sports Direct International PLC have acquired a majority of the market share, with JJB Sports entering administration in 2012. This trend is attributable to the difficulties faced by the UK economy in recent years in the wake of the recession; however, the sportswear market is recording growth overall.

It is expected that the sports clothing and footwear industry will continue to grow over the next 5 years. The trend for sportswear as fashion wear, as well as continued public interest in maintaining a sporting lifestyle for the future, are likely to facilitate an increase in sales for the industry.

Research and Markets


Must ReadView All

FDI in Vietnamese textile-garment projects on the rise

Apparel/Garments | On 24th Jun 2018

FDI in Vietnamese textile-garment projects on the rise

The European Union-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement and the Comprehensive ...

Courtesy: Alizilla

Apparel/Garments | On 24th Jun 2018

Alibaba Group sets up office in Kuala Lumpur

Strengthening its commitment to Malaysia, Alibaba Group has set up an ...

Bombay Dyeing plans to wind up Indonesian JV

Textiles | On 24th Jun 2018

Bombay Dyeing plans to wind up Indonesian JV

Bombay Dyeing & Manufacturing Co Ltd plans to wind up its loss making ...

Interviews View All

DK Sharma
Velocity Apparelz

We constantly communicate with employees at all levels

Sanjay Desai & Ashish Mulani
True Colors

Digital textile printing will be the technology of the future

Rajiv Sirohi
Shara

‘Portugal is taking away a major share of the mill made sector.’

Rajat Jaipuria

Activewear brand Soul Space promotes organic cotton farming and...

Kalai Selvi

Vidyashilp Academy in Bengaluru is the country's first Fairtrade School....

Paolo Crespi

For.Tex is an Italy-based leading producer of dyes and thickeners, and is...

Giorgio Mantovani
Corman S.p.A

Giorgio Mantovani, MD of Corman, with a presence in both Milano and New...

Mohammad Hassan
Biax Fiberfilm

About one in every 20 patients picks up an infection while hospitalised....

Kerem Durdag
Biovation II LLC

Kerem Durdag, CEO, Biovation II LLC, provides an insight into future...

Vaanee Bhatia
Gritstones Clothing

<div>Delhi-based Gritstones Clothing offers quality and exemplary style...

Mike Hoffman
Gildan Activewear SRL

Gildan Activewear, a manufacturer and marketer of branded clothing and...

Igor Chapurin
Chapurin

"Now we can see the Russian trend in international fashion. And Russian...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


June 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search