Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / Iberian clothing sales to dip 3.5% this year: DBK Report
Iberian clothing sales to dip 3.5% this year: DBK Report
09
Oct '13
The total clothing sales in the Iberian market, which includes Spain and Portugal, is expected to decline by about 3.5 percent year-on-year to €20.200 billion, according to a study recently published by DBK, a subsidiary of Informa D & B (Group CESCE).
 
The study says that apparel revenues in Spain would decrease by 3 percent to €16.850 billion, while there would be a dip of 5 percent in Portugal.
 
According to DBK, the value of clothing retail sales in the Iberian market fell to €20.935 billion in 2012, down 3.6 percent year-on-year. Of these, sales in Spain stood at €17.400 billion, down 3.1 percent, while sales in Portugal were €3.535 billion, down 6.2 percent.
 
The fall in retail clothing sales in Spain and Portugal last year was due to a decrease in consumption of households, the drop in prices resulting from the implementation of promotions and discounts by retail stores, and the growing demand for low-priced products.
 
The sales of clothing products from department stores, hypermarkets and supermarkets recorded a decline of 4.2 percent in 2012.
 
However, specialized chains benefited from the gradual change in the buying habits and their greater ability to offer innovative products at lower prices. But, these chains too witnessed a drop of 2 percent in their revenues last year.
 
The decline in household spending, associated with the high level of unemployment and economic uncertainty, continue penalizing sales in the short-term, both in Spain and Portugal, says the study.
 
In late 2012, nearly 75,000 points of sale specialized in clothing retail were operating in the Iberian market, of which, 80 percent were located in Spain and the remaining 20 percent were in Portugal.
 
Catalonia, Andalusia and Madrid account for almost half of the total number of clothing retail establishments in Spain, whereas in Portugal the largest number of apparel retail stores are located in the northern zone.
 

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

US commerce department finds dumping of low melt PSF

Textiles | On 20th Jun 2018

US commerce department finds dumping of low melt PSF

The US department of commerce (USDC) has announced affirmative final...

Courtesy: Aditya Birla

Textiles | On 20th Jun 2018

'Growth of VSF yarn industry is difficult'

Growth for the viscose filament yarn (VSF) yarn industry is...

Comfort USP of Sensitive Fabrics range of Eurojersey Spa

Apparel/Garments | On 20th Jun 2018

Comfort USP of Sensitive Fabrics range of Eurojersey Spa

Italian company Eurojersey Spa will present in 2019 new embossing...

Interviews View All

Prabu Mohanram
Balavigna Weaving Mills Pvt Ltd

The biggest challenge that the weaving industry faces is high price

Abhimanyu Singh Rathore & Barbara Anna Kosiorek
Kannbar

‘Blending cultures is the true beauty of fashion, where one’s imagination...

Anavila Misra
Anavila Collection

Fashion shows are also encouraging and highlighting sustainable fashion

Harsh Shah

Fynd is the central online shopping destination for fashion, offering...

Mala Alwani

<div>Delhi-based fast fashion womenswear brand, Besiva, aims to bridge the ...

Urmil Arya

Sushila International, a well established textile organisation established ...

Johan Berlin
InvestKonsult Sweden AB

Investkonsult Sweden AB has been buying and selling second-hand textile...

Marten Alkhagen
Swerea IVF AB

Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...

Paolo Ocleppo
Sandvik Hyperion

Paolo Ocleppo, Rotary Cutting Segment manager, Sandvik Hyperion discusses...

Sidharth Sinha
Sidharth Sinha

<b>Sidharth Sinha</b> has contributed to the successful rebirth and...

Divvya and Nidhhi Gambhir
Walnut

<b>Divvya and Nidhhi Gambhir</b> started their career with the launch of...

Aditi Somani
Aditi Somani

Aditi Somani specialises in luxury fusion wear with international cuts and ...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


June 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search