Key messages for Q2
- Worldwide network sales up 3.9% and group reported sales down 0.5%
- International space up 11.9% year-on-year with 2.5m sq.ft. of retail space
- International retail sales up 12.6% in constant currency and reported retail sales up 12.4% with all four regions delivering positive growth
- Against strong comparatives, UK like-for-like sales down 1.9% with Direct in Home up 8.3%, taking year to date Direct in Home growth to 11.6%
- In line with our plan, UK space reduced by 6.0% year-on-year as a further five loss making stores closed during the quarter
- The UK market remains very promotional, particularly in Home and Travel, and we have continued to focus on cash margin
Simon Calver, Chief Executive of Mothercare plc, said:
"We have delivered another quarter of growth in worldwide network sales. We now operate from 1,393 stores across 60 markets. As planned, during the quarter we closed a further five loss making stores in the UK, and year-on-year increased space by 11.9% across our International markets.
"We continue to see double-digit growth in International retail sales, benefitting from the strength and diversified nature of our International business.
"UK Direct delivered another quarter of growth and we expect further multi-channel progress as we continue to improve our service for customers with next day click-and-collect extended to all UK Early Learning Centre stores in time for Christmas trading.
"In line with the Transformation and Growth plan, we are continuing to make fundamental improvements to our business in the UK, which will allow us to compete effectively in a changing marketplace.
"However, the UK market in Home and Travel remained highly promotional and Autumn/Winter Clothing faced the same warm weather challenges as the rest of the sector but is gaining market share. Whilst this has resulted in a margin environment that is more challenging than expected, we continue to focus on profitable sales and cash margin."
Textiles | On 21st Jun 2018
ITMA, the trendsetting textile and garment technology platform, will...
Textiles | On 21st Jun 2018
Protectionism is the biggest political factor and threat affecting...
The biggest challenge is lack of skilled workforce and competition from...
Fashion industry likely to remain labour-intensive in coming years
Indo Count Retail Ventures
Today, there is no other emerging market as India, "we make in India and...
MAG Solvics Private Limited was established in 1991 to design and develop...
New Delhi-based Jogindra Industries Private Limited provides an assortment ...
Fynd is the central online shopping destination for fashion, offering...
Paolo Ocleppo, Rotary Cutting Segment manager, Sandvik Hyperion discusses...
Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG
The glass mat industry is growing by five to eight per cent annually. Kai...
Kevin Nelson, Chief Scientific Officer, TissueGen discusses the growing...
Label Ritu Kumar
‘Classics will return’ "There are a lot of people wearing western clothes ...
Yash P. Kotak
Bombay Hemp Company
One of the directors of Bombay Hemp Company, Yash P. Kotak, speaks to...
She has carved a niche for herself as the national brand of Turkey. Her...