Key messages for Q2
- Worldwide network sales up 3.9% and group reported sales down 0.5%
- International space up 11.9% year-on-year with 2.5m sq.ft. of retail space
- International retail sales up 12.6% in constant currency and reported retail sales up 12.4% with all four regions delivering positive growth
- Against strong comparatives, UK like-for-like sales down 1.9% with Direct in Home up 8.3%, taking year to date Direct in Home growth to 11.6%
- In line with our plan, UK space reduced by 6.0% year-on-year as a further five loss making stores closed during the quarter
- The UK market remains very promotional, particularly in Home and Travel, and we have continued to focus on cash margin
Simon Calver, Chief Executive of Mothercare plc, said:
"We have delivered another quarter of growth in worldwide network sales. We now operate from 1,393 stores across 60 markets. As planned, during the quarter we closed a further five loss making stores in the UK, and year-on-year increased space by 11.9% across our International markets.
"We continue to see double-digit growth in International retail sales, benefitting from the strength and diversified nature of our International business.
"UK Direct delivered another quarter of growth and we expect further multi-channel progress as we continue to improve our service for customers with next day click-and-collect extended to all UK Early Learning Centre stores in time for Christmas trading.
"In line with the Transformation and Growth plan, we are continuing to make fundamental improvements to our business in the UK, which will allow us to compete effectively in a changing marketplace.
"However, the UK market in Home and Travel remained highly promotional and Autumn/Winter Clothing faced the same warm weather challenges as the rest of the sector but is gaining market share. Whilst this has resulted in a margin environment that is more challenging than expected, we continue to focus on profitable sales and cash margin."
Fashion | On 25th Apr 2017
LVMH and Christian Dior, which holds directly and indirectly 41 per...
Information Technology | On 25th Apr 2017
It is the era of smart. Intelligent materials like self-repairing...
Ozone PB Spintex Limited
‘We have made huge investments to ensure quality yarn production.’
Moving towards sustainability is also a social change
Angelina Francesca Cheang
'Consumers in the age-group 21 to 38 are driving the activewear trend'
Schlegel und Partner
Silke Brand-Kirsch, executive partner of Schlegel und Partner, a leading...
Iago Castro Asensio
RCfil Distribuciones S.L.
Iago Castro Asensio, International Business Manager of RCfil...
Kevin Nelson, Chief Scientific Officer, TissueGen discusses the growing...
Apparel/Garments | On 25th Apr 2017