"GAAP earnings of $0.13 per diluted share include non-cash charges of ($0.06) per diluted share associated with the company’s previously disclosed plans to close its Warrendale, PA distribution center upon the opening of its new facility in Hazleton, PA.
Robert Hanson, CEO stated, “Our financial performance is clearly unsatisfactory and not consistent with our objectives. As we continue to navigate through an intensely promotional North American retail landscape, we are making improvements in merchandising and marketing, while aggressively pursuing efficiency gains, expense reductions and ensuring disciplined inventory management.
"We are continuing to invest in important areas of growth including omni-channel, global expansion and factory stores -- all high-return segments, which diversify our business and will be key drivers of our future growth and success.”
Third Quarter 2013 Non-GAAP Results
The following discussion is based on Non-GAAP results, as presented in the accompanying GAAP to Non-GAAP reconciliation.
- Total net revenue of $857 million decreased 6% compared to $910 million last year. On comparable weeks, total revenue would have decreased in the low single-digits.
-Consolidated comparable sales, including AEO Direct, decreased 5%, compared to a 10% increase last year. Third quarter 2013 comparable sales are compared to the 13 weeks ended November 3, 2012.
- Gross profit decreased 21% to $299 million and 670 basis points to 34.9% of revenue, primarily as the result of higher promotional activity and the deleverage of rent on negative comparable sales.
- Selling, general and administrative expense of $206 million decreased 6% from last year and leveraged 10 basis points to 24.0% as a rate to revenue. Lower incentive compensation and travel costs contributed to the improvement.
- Operating income decreased 52% to $61 million, resulting in a rate of 7.1% compared to 14.1% last year.
- Adjusted EPS of $0.19 compared to EPS from continuing operations of $0.41 last year, a 54% decline.
Total merchandise inventory at the end of the third quarter increased to $519 million compared to $481 million last year. At cost per foot, inventory increased 6% against an 11% decline last year, which reflects the impact of timing shifts of merchandise receipts due to the 53rd week last year. On comparable weeks, inventory at cost per foot would have increased in the low single-digits.
Click here to read full results
American Eagle Outfitters
Fashion | On 25th Apr 2017
LVMH and Christian Dior, which holds directly and indirectly 41 per...
Information Technology | On 25th Apr 2017
It is the era of smart. Intelligent materials like self-repairing...
DLF Emporio and DLF Promenade
‘Each event and promotion is planned out keeping in mind the business of...
‘The share of kidswear segment in the online sector is still small in...
Textrade International Ltd
We believe in vocational education for entry-level employees, offering...
About one in every 20 patients picks up an infection while hospitalised....
Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG
The glass mat industry is growing by five to eight per cent annually. Kai...
InvestKonsult Sweden AB
Investkonsult Sweden AB has been buying and selling second-hand textile...
Golfwear and menswear brand Devereux is set for greener pastures. Robert...
"You have to truly understand what your client wants, know her needs, what ...
Occasions Elegance Wear
It is believed that by early 19th century, Varanasi weavers had moved away ...
Apparel/Garments | On 25th Apr 2017