Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / Waive off hidden taxes in duty-free RMG exports - MoC
Waive off hidden taxes in duty-free RMG exports - MoC
08
Dec '09
In a case of imposing higher hidden taxes on the shipment of eight million RMG items to India under duty-free facility, the Commerce Ministry of Bangladesh wants elucidation from Delhi, said an official.

Further he lamented that these higher hidden taxes curbed the country from availing benefits of exporting apparel items, which actually were meant to provide duty-free facility under the South Asia Free Trade Agreement (SAFTA) framework.

These hidden taxes add to more than 18 percent, and in this regard the Ministry expects Delhi to give a reply before Bangladesh Prime Minister's visit to India, which is commencing from December 19, said the official.

In a bid to increase trade relations and trade volumes between the two countries, Bangladesh will ask India to increase the duty-free quota and remove non-tariff and para-tariff barriers, during PM's visit to India, he informed.

Whereas, he said that complete duty waiver on Bangladeshi RMG exports to India can not be expected, since both the countries produce nearly similar sought of apparel items.

He informed that the clarification has been requested, as the Ministry believes that imposing such taxes is illogical and the country is entitled to the duty-free benefit.

In this regard, a letter has been sent by the Ministry after a complaint lodged by Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA).

As member companies of the association were going through difficulties while exporting products under duty-free quota, the association lodged the complaint.

Though the country has signed an agreement with India in September 2007 to export eight million pieces of garment items per year under duty-free facility, it could dispatch just 40 percent of the said volume in the first nine months of the current year, informed BGMEA President.

BGMEA members enjoy 70 percent share of the total quota, while the remaining 30 percent share goes to the members of Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

Govt constitutes GST Feedback and Action Room

The Government of India has constituted a Feedback and Action Room...

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

India’s cotton textile exports fell in FY17: Tamta

The overall export of cotton textiles from India declined in 2016-17...

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

Stella McCartney, Bolt Threads partner for eco fashion

Fashion designer Stella McCartney has partnered with Bolt Threads for ...

Interviews View All

Priyanka
Studio Priyanka Rajiv

‘To reinvent the age-old tradition of embroidery to suit demographics and...

Krishnanand Tripathi
Textrade International Ltd

We believe in vocational education for entry-level employees, offering...

Nishank Patel
Shri Dinesh Mills Limited

Broad range of fabrics will sell well this financial year

Kevin Nelson
TissueGen

Kevin Nelson, Chief Scientific Officer, TissueGen discusses the growing...

Kai Poehler
Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG

The glass mat industry is growing by five to eight per cent annually. Kai...

Iago Castro Asensio
RCfil Distribuciones S.L.

Iago Castro Asensio, International Business Manager of RCfil...

Igor Chapurin
Chapurin

"Now we can see the Russian trend in international fashion. And Russian...

Sanjukta Dutta
Sanjukta's Studio

<b>Sanjukta Dutta</b> creates unique garments by clubbing prints of...

Nisha Chanda
Whistling Woods International School of Fashion

<div>A lack of upgraded courses in costume designing and fashion as per...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

July 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search



X