Home / Knowledge / News / High Level delegation from Botswana visits FDDI
High Level delegation from Botswana visits FDDI
May '10
A high level delegation from the Local Enterprise Authority(LEA), Government of Botswana visited the Footwear Design & Development Institute (FDDI) on May 14, 2010.

The LEA a Statutory Authority of the Government of Botswana is a co-ordinated and focused one-stop shop Authority that provides development and support services to the local industry needs of Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises (SMMEs), encompassing training, mentoring, business plan finalization, market access facilitation, and facilitation of technology adaptation and adoption.

In Botswana, the SMME sector is the main source from which entrepreneurial and managerial skills emerges that overcomes the economic constraints of the shortage of entrepreneurs who are capable of running larger firms.

“The delegation visited FDDI seeking the transfer of technology and training that can bolster & contribute substantially to the economic and social development of the Botswana Leather Industry.” - Mr. Rajeev Lakhara, IRS, Managing Director, FDDI.

The delegation consisting of five members from the LEA led by Mr. TEBOCO T. K. MATOME, Chief Executive Officer, LEA, Ms Verily Molatedi, Deputy Chief Executive Officer - Support Services, LEA, Mabu Faith Nteta, Managing Director, Service Bridges Consulting and two other members alongwith Pako Oarabile NKWE, Second Secretary, High Commission of the Republic of Botswana visited FDDI with an objective to replicate best practices and appropriate technology with assistance/collaboration from FDDI so as to enable the Botswana Leather Industry to become a tailor-made service provider for its SMMEs.

During the visit the delegation met Mr. Rajeev Lakhara, IRS, Managing Director, FDDI and Mr. Shashi Bhushan Shukla, IRS, Secretary, FDDI. Elaborating the details, Mr. Rajeev Lakhara, IRS, Managing Director, FDDI, said “The delegation visited FDDI seeking the transfer of technology and training that can bolster & contribute substantially to the economic and social development of the Botswana Leather Industry.”

In Botswana, the cattle population is estimated at 2.5 million, goats and sheep at 2.1 million. About 80% of the national herd is kept under a communal system while the remaining 20% is raised under a commercial system. About 300,000 bovine hides are produced annually, half by the Botswana Meat Commission (the national abattoir) and half by municipal abattoirs.

A versatile tannery capable of processing all types of hides and skins including cattle, small stock, and game has been set up to produce crust and finish leather from hides produced in Botswana. Tannery Industries Botswana has both a large, modern retanning plant, which is in Lobatse, south of Gaborone, and a finishing plant in Phakalane.

“Full support will be provided by FDDI for enhancing the competitiveness of the Botswana leather sector and to accelerate the growth so that it succeeds ona global scale,” stated Mr. Lakhara.

Must ReadView All

Union textiles minister Smriti Irani addressing at the Texprocil Annual Export Awards. Courtesy: PIB

Textiles | On 22nd Oct 2016

Govt to extend special package to home textiles segment

The Central government is likely to extend the recently approved Rs...

Reebok Liquid Speed Grey. Courtesy: Business Wire

Apparel/Garments | On 22nd Oct 2016

Reebok’s Liquid Factory brings sneaker creation to US

Reebok, a pioneer in the sporting goods industry, has brought sneaker ...

Courtesy: GHCL

Textiles | On 22nd Oct 2016

GHCL to invest Rs 67.25 crore in textile division

Chemicals and textiles firm GHCL will invest Rs 67.25 crore in its...

Interviews View All

Jurgen Gauger

‘Buying crowdsourced or creative designs are much more appealing to the...

Shawn Honeycutt
Bolger & O'Hearn

‘The Indian market is interesting and rather persistent in seeking new...

Kamlesh Vaghela
RK Textiles

Very few machinery manufacturers have R&D units

Marcel Alberts

Coating at a fibre level is a practice not usually seen in the...

Mohammad Hassan
Biax Fiberfilm

About one in every 20 patients picks up an infection while hospitalised....

Mark Paterson
Technical Absorbents Ltd

Mark Paterson, R&D manager of Technical Absorbents Ltd talks about Super...

Yash P. Kotak
Bombay Hemp Company

One of the directors of Bombay Hemp Company, Yash P. Kotak, speaks to...

Robert Brunner

Golfwear and menswear brand Devereux is set for greener pastures. Robert...

Karan Arora
Karan Arora

Bridal couture created with rich Indian heritage, exquisite craftsmanship...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


Letter To Editor

(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies

October 2016

October 2016

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Browse Our Archives


Advanced Search