ITMA to feature bigger R&E pavilion
Visitors to ITMA 2011 can look forward to knowledge-sharing, crossfertilisation of ideas and more collaborative interactions with some of the world's leading textile researchers and educators.
A total of 46 institutions have applied to take part in the Research & Education (R&E) pavilion, making it a key highlight at this year's ITMA exhibition which will be held at the Fira de Barcelona Gran Via venue in Barcelona, Spain from 22 to 29 September.
Said Mr Stephen Combes, President of CEMATEX: “We would like to acknowledge and support the important work done by the research centres and institutions of higher learning so that the industry can continually move forward. We are delighted to have been able to offer a 60th anniversary grant to R&E organisations, which has enabled more institutes to participate in ITMA. In fact, the pavilion has increased by 50 per cent in size from the last ITMA event in 2007.”
CEMATEX will be awarding grants to all the participants in the pavilion. The grant is part of the celebratory effort by ITMA, the world's largest and most established textile machinery exhibition, to commemorate six decades of successful staging of the exhibition series.
Participants will showcase their projects, capabilities and programmes at their booths.
At the same time, a total of 24 abstracts have been approved for presentation at the R&E Speakers Platform. The presentations on process technology and textiles and R&D will be held from 23 to 25 September.
Among the participating institutions in the Speakers Platform are the Città Studi SpA; Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs Sud Alsace; Ghent University, Department of Textiles; Institut für Textil- und Verfahrenstechnik Denkendorf (ITV-Denkendorf); the Institut für Textiltechnik of RWTH Aachen University (ITA); Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Mathematics ITWM; Cetex Institut für Textil- und Verarbeitungsmaschinen gemeinnützige GmbH; London College of Fashion; Instituto Tecnológico Textil (AITEX); Institut D'investigació Tèxtil I Cooperació Industrial de Terrassa-UPC; Shinshu University, Faculty of Textile Science and Technology from Japan.
Mr Jeroen Vits, Secretary General of SYMATEX (Belgium) and Chairman of the ITMA 2011 R&E Committee, said: “The presenters hail from some of the best research institutions in the industry. Their participation will add excitement and draw a greater number of visitors to the R&E pavilion, especially those keen to learn more about developments that will impact the sustainable development of the textile and garment industry.”
Visitors can expect to source the entire textile and garment making value chain, with the latest technologies, products and services, spread over 200,000 square metres of the Gran Via fairgrounds.
As of July, over 1,300 exhibitors from 45 countries have applied to take part in the show.
Some 70 per cent of the exhibitors are from European countries, with Italy fielding the largest contingent, followed by Germany and Switzerland. The remaining 30 per cent are from non-European countries with top participation from India, Japan and China. Sector-wise, the dyeing, printing and finishing segment is the largest, at 30 per cent of the total show. It is followed by spinning at 15 per cent, weaving at 14 per cent and knitting at 12 per cent.