Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Handloom fair to generate Rs 5m revenue for Gujarat weavers
Handloom fair to generate Rs 5m revenue for Gujarat weavers
06
Sep '11
The on-going handloom and handicrafts fair at 'Shilpi Haat' in Rajiv Gandhi Handicrafts Bhavan in Delhi is expected to earn five million rupees in revenues to artisans and weavers who are associated with the Gujarat State Handloom and Handicrafts Development Corporation Ltd (GSHHDC).

The fair, organized by the Gujarat government to market its handloom and handicraft products at a national level, is to go on for 14 days.

BK Sinha, Additional Chief Secretary (Ports and Transport) of Gujarat Government, at the inauguration of the exhibition-cum-sale, said that handicrafts of the State and especially the handloom and handicraft products of Kutch district are well-known and weavers of the region have bagged many national as well as international awards for their craftsmanship.

Printed and woven clothes, bead work, tribal art and embroidery are also included in the list of crafts of Gujarat. Around 50 craftsmen from Gujarat are participating in the event.

B Venkateswaralu, Assistant Manager of GSHHDC, said that they are trying to promote the State's crafts across the country to the maximum extent and Shilpi Haat is the best platform for the purpose. Around 15 of the 35 to 40 Gujarat-specific artworks are well-known crafts, with majority of them being leather, beadwork and other crafts, he added.

AK Jha, Managing Director of GSHHDC, while underlining several schemes for the sector, said that the weavers have been provided with latest tool kits to help them prepare products that match the market demand. Toolkits are provided to the weavers and artisans at 65 percent subsidized rates while for the rest 35 percent they are given loans.

Cotton and Rural Industries Secretary, AM Solanki said several training and design development schemes of the State government have been extended to thousands of weavers and artisans in rural, urban and even remote regions of the State. The items prepared by these artisans have been appreciated not just at national but even at international level. The schemes, he said, have proved helpful in generating sustainable opportunities for livelihood for artisans in the State.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India

Must ReadView All

Courtesy: UPM Raflatac

Apparel/Garments | On 17th Jan 2017

New residue free textile label adhesive from UPM Raflatac

Producer of self adhesive label materials UPM Raflatac, has...

Courtesy: Authentic Brands Group

Apparel/Garments | On 17th Jan 2017

Teen retailer Aéropostale reopens 500 stores in US

Teen apparel retailer Aéropostale has reopened 500 stores in the US,...

Courtesy: Centric Software

Information Technology | On 17th Jan 2017

Centric releases version 6.0 of PLM solution

Centric Software, the leading PLM solution for fashion, retail,...

Interviews View All

Binoy Ravjani
Hero's Fashion

‘One of the recent trends in hand block printing is the indigo process,...

Jim Desai
Blaiva Fabricaa

Fashion industry likely to remain labour-intensive in coming years

Amit Jain
Shingora Textiles Ltd

‘In terms of fabric, the fastest growing category for us is a blend of...

Larry L Kinn
Suominen Corporation

Larry L Kinn, Senior Vice President - Operations Americas of Suominen...

Mark Paterson
Technical Absorbents Ltd

Mark Paterson, R&D manager of Technical Absorbents Ltd talks about Super...

Iago Castro Asensio
RCfil Distribuciones S.L.

Iago Castro Asensio, International Business Manager of RCfil...

Sonam & Paras Modi
SVA

Sonam and Paras Modi's Sva Couture is synonymous with head-turning...

Wendell Rodricks
Wendell Rodricks

"We should not compare India and the West. There are things we do that...

Robert Brunner
Devereux

Golfwear and menswear brand Devereux is set for greener pastures. Robert...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH
January 2017

January 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

SUBSCRIBE


Browse Our Archives

GO


eNEWS
Insights
Subscribe today and get the latest News update in your mail box.
Advanced Search