Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Russian, Asian traders buy all the cotton at Uzbek fair
Russian, Asian traders buy all the cotton at Uzbek fair
15
Oct '11
Traders from Russia and Asian countries purchased all cotton at the 7th International Uzbek Cotton and Textile Fair held in Tashkent, the capital city of Uzbekistan, on 12-13 October.

In the absence of buyers from the West, 60 percent of cotton and textiles sold at the fair were bought by Asian traders, while the remaining 40 percent was procured by Russian companies.

It is for the first time that all the cotton sold at the Fair will be destined to non-Western countries, including Bangladesh, Japan, China, Pakistan, Singapore, Vietnam, Turkey, UAE, South Korea, Iran and CIS countries.

At the Fair, Uztsentrimpex, Uzbekistan's centralised company that coordinates the sale of cotton, signed contracts to supply about 600,000 tons of cotton valued at US$ 550 million. Last year, the volume of contracts singed was 650,000 tons.

The quantity of cotton sold at the Uzbek Fairs dropped drastically in 2007 to 650,000 tons from a peak of 1.7 million tons in 2006.

In 2008, European and the US firms began boycott of Uzbek cotton cultivated while using forced labour, including child labour. Some of the famous companies that have stopped buying Uzbek cotton include H&M, Wal-Mart, Burberry, Marks & Spencer, Gap, Levi's and Target. These companies have committed to maintaining the boycott until the Internationl Labour Organization (ILO) issues a statement confirming Uzbekistan's complete stoppage of use of forced child labour for harvesting cotton.

However, the boycott by Western companies has not significantly impacted the sale of Uzbek cotton, as they have been replaced by Russian and Asian buyers.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 20th Jul 2017

Provide safety net for cotton growers: Congress to Trump

A bipartisan Congressional coalition has called attention of...

Courtesy: ITMF

Textiles | On 20th Jul 2017

ITMF'17 themed on tech, trade, climate in disruptive times

The International Textile Manufacturers Federation (ITMF), an...

Textiles | On 20th Jul 2017

RIL’s Q1 FY18 petrochemicals revenue up 22.9% y-o-y

Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has reported its financial...

Interviews View All

Yash Agarwal
Hitansh Online

Every market region has its own culture and trends

Nitin Bhatia
Trend Arrest

Setting up a brand for online selling is easy, but running the brand is not

Claudia Kersten
Global Organic Textile Standard

‘GOTS is a very efficient supply chain management tool, especially for...

Mohammad Hassan
Biax Fiberfilm

About one in every 20 patients picks up an infection while hospitalised....

Larry L Kinn
Suominen Corporation

Larry L Kinn, Senior Vice President - Operations Americas of Suominen...

Marten Alkhagen
Swerea IVF AB

Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...

Madhu Jain
Madhu Jain

She grew up in the walled city of Old Delhi, completed her studies, and...

Mike Hoffman
Gildan Activewear SRL

Gildan Activewear, a manufacturer and marketer of branded clothing and...

Bani Batra

Bani Batra’s couture wedding collection is inspired by traditional Indian...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

July 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search



X