Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Aditya Birla Group to buy Canadian Pulp Mill
Aditya Birla Group to buy Canadian Pulp Mill
07
Jul '12
The Aditya Birla Group announced that it has signed an agreement in-principle to purchase the assets of the Terrace Bay Pulp Mill in North Western Ontario.  Says Mr. Kumar Mangalam Birla, Chairman, Aditya Birla Group, “The acquisition of the Terrace Bay Mill and its subsequent conversion into a dissolving grade pulp mill is a major strategic move. 

In the VSF business, we enjoy global leadership.  To sustain ongoing growth, we have an integrated business model, spanning the entire value chain from plantation to pulp to fibre.  The Terrace Bay Mill, upon conversion, will be geared to provide superior quality pulp for our VSF plants worldwide”.

The Terrace Bay Mill was placed under CCAA (Companies Creditors Arrangement Act) in January, 2012.  The Aditya Birla Group is to make this acquisition through a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV), AV Terrace Bay Inc. (Canada).  Grasim Industries Ltd., proposes to hold a 40% stake in AV Terrace Bay Inc. and the remaining 60% is proposed to be held by Thai Rayon Public Co. Ltd., Thailand.  Over a period of the next 3 years, Grasim would be contributing $ 44 million, out of the total equity contribution of $ 110 million.

The Group will be investing more than $ 250 million in a phased manner to convert the mill to produce Dissolving grade pulp with a capacity of 2,80,000 tpa.  Until the conversion, which is likely to happen in FY 16, the mill will produce and sell Paper grade pulp.  The Paper Grade Pulp mill should restart by October 2012.  The Terrace Bay Mill is considered an anchor mill due to its location and its significant consumption of residual chips produced by the regional sawmills.

The transaction is subject to Court approvals in Canada and other Regulatory approvals in Canada, Thailand and India.  It is expected to close by July 31, 2012.

The Aditya Birla Group has a significant presence in Canada.  Its major companies – AV Nackawic, AV Cell in the pulp & fibre business, Aditya Birla Novelis in the metals business, Aditya Birla Minacs in the ITES business and Columbian Chemicals in Carbon Black business have highly successful operations in Canada.  The Aditya Birla Group has a 6000 strong workforce operating in the country. The Group enjoys a strong relationship with the Government and with the Community at large.

Aditya Birla Group


Must ReadView All

US commerce department finds dumping of low melt PSF

Textiles | On 20th Jun 2018

US commerce department finds dumping of low melt PSF

The US department of commerce (USDC) has announced affirmative final...

Courtesy: Aditya Birla

Textiles | On 20th Jun 2018

'Growth of VSF yarn industry is difficult'

Growth for the viscose filament yarn (VSF) yarn industry is...

Comfort USP of Sensitive Fabrics range of Eurojersey Spa

Apparel/Garments | On 20th Jun 2018

Comfort USP of Sensitive Fabrics range of Eurojersey Spa

Italian company Eurojersey Spa will present in 2019 new embossing...

Interviews View All

Claudia Kersten
Global Organic Textile Standard

‘GOTS is a very efficient supply chain management tool, especially for...

Marazban F Velati
Sutlej Textiles & Industries limited

No training can be effective till the candidate believes in it.

Top executives
Textile industry, India

The event should be organised every year

Vikas Banduke

Softech Controls Private Limited (SCPL) is a part of the Cotmac Group, an...

Abhishek Pachauri

Reckon Industries adapts latest systems for manufacturing from designing...

Tejas N Patel, Navin D Patel

Founded in 1999 by Navin Patel in the name of Tejas Fabrics with 100...

Giorgio Mantovani
Corman S.p.A

Giorgio Mantovani, MD of Corman, with a presence in both Milano and New...

Johan Berlin
InvestKonsult Sweden AB

Investkonsult Sweden AB has been buying and selling second-hand textile...

Suresh Patel
Sidwin Fabric

Sidwin Fabric is a manufacturer and exporter of polypropylene textiles and ...

Cigdem Akin
Cigdem Akin

She has carved a niche for herself as the national brand of Turkey. Her...

Amiben Shroff
Shrujan

From its modest beginning in the late 1960s, Shrujan has grown into a...

Samar Firdos
Arvind Ltd

<b>Samar Firdos</b>, Chief Manager (Design) at Lifestyle Apparel Denim...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


June 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search