Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / An overview of Chinese textile & apparel imports in 2012
An overview of Chinese textile & apparel imports in 2012
01
Mar '13
China imported US$ 19.94 billion worth of textiles and US$ 4.52 billion worth of apparels in 2012. Thus, textiles accounted for 81.5 percent of total Chinese textile and apparel imports, while clothing imports contributed the remaining 18.5 percent.
 
In the textile category, overall imports grew by 4.8 percent year-on-year. Yarn imports increased enormously by 22.6 percent year-on-year, while fabric imports declined by 4.8 percent y-o-y. Finished textile product imports dipped 2.2 percent y-o-y.
 
The surge in yarn imports was mainly due to a rise in cotton yarn imports, which grew by nearly 70 percent y-o-y to 1.528 million tons in 2012. However, synthetic yarn imports decreased by 12.7 percent y-o-y.
 
Among fabrics, modest growth was seen in imports of cotton fabric, while there was a decline in imports of all other fabrics.
 
Among finished textile products, the import of home textiles fell by 12.1 percent y-o-y, while imports of industrial textiles and non-woven fabrics decreased by 3.2 percent and 2.7 percent, respectively.
 
In the apparel category, the import value of woven and knitted garments rose by 13 percent y-o-y and 11.9 percent y-o-y, respectively, while the average unit price of imported garments increased by mere 0.9 percent y-o-y.
 
However, wool and leather apparel imports by China grew by 12.3 percent y-o-y, while imports of garment accessories increased by 10.3 percent y-o-y.
 
During the year, China’s cotton imports skyrocketed by 52.7 percent y-o-y to 5.137 million tons. The substantial increase in cotton imports was mainly due to a sharp decline in international cotton prices, which fell from US$ 2,810/ton in 2011 to US$ 2,299/ton in 2012, a decrease of 18 percent.
 
Total man-made fibre imports by China dipped 2.6 percent y-o-y in 2012, while import price fell by 1.9 percent y-o-y.
 
China’s wool and wool tops imports decreased by 4 percent y-o-y, while average price of imports fell by 3.5 percent y-o-y during the 12-month period.
 
Chinese silk imports during the year grew by 29.4 percent y-o-y, and their average import price too rose by 4.2 percent y-o-y.
 

Fibre2fashion News Desk - China


Must ReadView All

Courtesy: Michael Kors

Fashion | On 25th Jul 2017

Michael Kors to acquire Jimmy Choo

Global fashion luxury brand Michael Kors Holdings Limited has reached ...

Apparel/Garments | On 25th Jul 2017

VF Corp posts $2.4 billion revenue for Q2 2017

VF Corporation has recorded revenue of $2.4 billion, up 2 per cent,...

Textiles | On 25th Jul 2017

Egypt signs agreement with UNIDO for cotton production

Egypt has signed a €1.5 million ($1.74 million) cooperation agreement ...

Interviews View All

Anavila Misra
Anavila Collection

Fashion shows are also encouraging and highlighting sustainable fashion

Luke Otten
Wigwam Mills Inc

Wigwam aims to recycle discarded yarn that doesn’t make it through the...

Ghanshyam Ghoghari
Kimora Fashion

Bridalwear is not about reds and whites anymore

Kevin Nelson
TissueGen

Kevin Nelson, Chief Scientific Officer, TissueGen discusses the growing...

Lynda Kelly
Suominen Corporation

Suominen Corporation is a manufacturer of nonwovens as roll goods for...

Silke Brand-Kirsch
Schlegel und Partner

Silke Brand-Kirsch, executive partner of Schlegel und Partner, a leading...

Yash P. Kotak
Bombay Hemp Company

One of the directors of Bombay Hemp Company, Yash P. Kotak, speaks to...

Wendell Rodricks
Wendell Rodricks

"We should not compare India and the West. There are things we do that...

Bani Batra

Bani Batra’s couture wedding collection is inspired by traditional Indian...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

July 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search



X