Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Egyptian cotton exports take a hit as price declines
Egyptian cotton exports take a hit as price declines
18
Jan '14
The exports of cotton from Egypt have taken a hit due to a rise in local prices, owing to a drop in domestic cotton production and the lifting of an import ban, reports Ahram Online.
 
Since the beginning of the cotton marketing season in September 2013, Egypt has exported 17,028 tons of cotton, registering a fall of 45.3 percent compared to 31,137 tons of cotton exported in the corresponding period of previous season, Alexandria Cotton Exporters’ Association (Alcotexa) said.
 
In terms of value, cotton exports since September 2013 fetched US$ 62.1 million, compared to around $100 million earned during the same period of the previous year, Mefreh El-Beltagy, head of Alcotexa, said.
 
The top three destinations for Egyptian cotton exports were India, Switzerland and Germany, which imported 5,400 tons, 2,078 tons and 1,780 tons of cotton, respectively.
 
In 2012-13 cotton season ending August 31, 2013, Egypt exported cotton worth $215 million. Around 22.3 percent of the 300,000 tons of cotton produced in the previous season was exported at an average price of 194 cents/lb.
 
Around 90 percent of exported cotton was of Giza 86 variety, and the remaining 10 percent included Giza 92 and Giza 88 varieties.
 
However, production of cotton declined to 200,000 tons in the current marketing season due to lower cotton acreage, which led to an increase in domestic cotton prices.
 
Moreover, the Government has lifted the import ban imposed since the 2011 revolution, which has also contributed to increase in prices.
 
 

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

Apparel/Garments | On 23rd Sep 2017

AAFA urges negotiators to preserve TPLs in NAFTA

The American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA), an alliance of...

Textiles | On 23rd Sep 2017

SIMA urges Centre to re-look duty drawback rates

he Southern India Mills’ Association (SIMA) has appealed to the...

Textiles | On 23rd Sep 2017

PKR 690.65-mn budget for Pakistan Cotton Committee

The Pakistan Central Cotton Committee (PCCC) recently approved a PKR...

Interviews View All

Top executives
Textile industry

The foremost issue is bridging the skill gap

Headhonchos
Indian textile value chain

'One nation, one tax' is a great concept

Viral Desai
Zenitex Mill Pvt Ltd

Full of green energy

Kevin Nelson
TissueGen

Kevin Nelson, Chief Scientific Officer, TissueGen discusses the growing...

Marcel Alberts
Eurofibers

Coating at a fibre level is a practice not usually seen in the...

Paolo Ocleppo
Sandvik Hyperion

Paolo Ocleppo, Rotary Cutting Segment manager, Sandvik Hyperion discusses...

Anisha Chaudhari
Threads & Shirts

Threads & Shirts is a freshly-tailored concept providing men/women a...

Mike Hoffman
Gildan Activewear SRL

Gildan Activewear, a manufacturer and marketer of branded clothing and...

Pranav Mishra
Huemn

Designers Pranav Mishra and Shyma Shetty’s Huemn is known for its...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

September 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes
74.5%
No
12.8%
Skip
12.8%

Total Votes: 47

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes
61.7%
No
25.5%
Skip
12.8%

Total Votes: 47

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes
87.2%
No
6.4%
Skip
6.4%

Total Votes: 47

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.

Active Poll

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes
70.2%
No
10.6%
Skip
19.1%

Total Votes: 47


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search