Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / India's per capita textile use grew 5% in 2012: Survey
India's per capita textile use grew 5% in 2012: Survey
05
Jun '14
The per capita consumption of textiles in India grew by more than 5 percent to 25.93 metres in 2012, compared to the previous year, according to a survey conducted by the Textile Committee, Business Standard reports quoting PTI.
 
The survey ‘Markets for Textile and Clothing: National Household Survey 2013’ collected textile purchase information on a bi-monthly basis for 2011 and 2012 from 13,280 households spread across 252 rural and 105 urban centres in the country.
 
For estimating the total consumption of textiles, the committee took India’s population in 2012 as 1.22 billion, living in 248.7 million households. Based on this, the committee arrived at a figure of 31.636 billion metres as the total textile consumption by Indian populace in 2012.
 
The survey showed that average per head consumption of textiles grew by 5.87 percent year-on-year in quantitative terms in 2012.
 
However, the increase was much more in monetary terms, as consumption jumped by 16.69 percent to Rs. 2,862.87 over the previous year’s use of textiles worth Rs. 2,473.64.
 
From 2000 to 2012, the average purchase of all textiles by Indian citizens saw a growth of 76 percent in quantitative terms and 138 percent in value, the survey showed.
 
The CAGR of the average purchase of all textiles during 2000 to 2012 worked out to 4.54 percent and 10.67 percent in terms of quantity and value, respectively.
 
In terms of rural-urban divide, the consumption of all textiles from rural areas constituted 62.5 percent of the total consumption with the urban accounting for the remaining 37.5 percent. However, the per capita consumption was greater in urban areas at 31.2 metres compared to consumption of 23.54 metres in rural areas.
 

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

Govt constitutes GST Feedback and Action Room

The Government of India has constituted a Feedback and Action Room...

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

India’s cotton textile exports fell in FY17: Tamta

The overall export of cotton textiles from India declined in 2016-17...

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

Stella McCartney, Bolt Threads partner for eco fashion

Fashion designer Stella McCartney has partnered with Bolt Threads for ...

Interviews View All

Asim Dalal
Indo Count Retail Ventures

Today, there is no other emerging market as India, "we make in India and...

Smith Vaghasia
Sanado India

Online remains the best destination for shopping

Sunil Rathore
Lacoste India

‘New vendor is welcome if he offers cost, quality and timely delivery’

Larry L Kinn
Suominen Corporation

Larry L Kinn, Senior Vice President - Operations Americas of Suominen...

Eamonn Tighe
Nature Works LLC

Eamonn Tighe, Fibres and Nonwovens - Business Development Manager of...

Eric Scholler
Groz-Beckert

The Indian market has huge potential in technical textiles, and by far,...

Mike Hoffman
Gildan Activewear SRL

Gildan Activewear, a manufacturer and marketer of branded clothing and...

Nisha Chanda
Whistling Woods International School of Fashion

<div>A lack of upgraded courses in costume designing and fashion as per...

Judy Frater
Somaiya Kala Vidya

Among the many honours showered on Frater, including Fulbright and Ford...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

July 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search



X