Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Cotton prices to maintain volatility
Cotton prices to maintain volatility
24
Nov '10
Recently the Chinese Ministry of Agriculture reported that as domestic and world cotton production area continuously declines and at the same time, demand of textile industry strongly picks up, supply and demand situation is tightening, leading to cotton prices hitting record highs.

Purchase price of seed cotton grade 3 was 11.40 Yuan / kg in October, up 42.3 percent year on year. The average price of cotton grade 328 increased from 14,932 Yuan / ton in January to 24,701 Yuan/ ton in October, up 80.9 percent.

Cotlook A index climbed from 77.39 cents / lb in January to 127.48 cents/ lb in October, up 90.8 percent, to set the highest point since 2003.

With new cotton arriving into the market, international cotton prices are expected to drop slightly, however domestic prices are expected to maintain volatility at high price levels, due to strong demand.

The Ministry of Agriculture estimates that, national cotton planting area in 2010-11 season has declined to 76.851 million Mu (one hectare equals 15 Chinese Mu), down 47,900 Mu from the previous year, or a reduction of 0.06 percent.

Overall output will be unchanged or slightly reduced from the previous year. Imports will substantially increase. China's total cotton imports reached 2.1525 million tons in the first three quarters of 2010, an increase of 99.7 percent year on year.

According to the latest survey by the monitoring system of national cotton market on November 19, national cotton-growing area is 75.682 million Mu this year, a decrease of 1.1 percent year on year; cotton yield is 84.0 kg / Mu, down 4.4 percent year on year; total output is expected to be 6.36 million tons, down 5.5 percent year on year.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - China


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 21st Aug 2017

GST payment & filing for July extended till Aug 25

The GST Implementation Committee, consisting of state and Central...

Textiles | On 21st Aug 2017

India’s cotton production may grow by 3.76% in 2016-17

India’s cotton production is likely to rise by 3.76 per cent to 345...

Textiles | On 21st Aug 2017

Telangana announces sops for textile, apparel sector

The Telangana government recently announced a string of incentives,...

Interviews View All

Krishnanand Tripathi
Textrade International Ltd

We believe in vocational education for entry-level employees, offering...

Deepak Jain
Baggout

We are using Facebook and Instagram to promote ourselves

Amardeep Singh
Orient Craft

'In export markets, the trend in terms of embroidery, is towards matte...

Lynda Kelly
Suominen Corporation

Suominen Corporation is a manufacturer of nonwovens as roll goods for...

Ashok Desai
Bombay Textile Research Association

Bombay Textile Research Association (BTRA) is a leading name in textile...

Marten Alkhagen
Swerea IVF AB

Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...

Bani Batra

Bani Batra’s couture wedding collection is inspired by traditional Indian...

Karan Arora
Karan Arora

Bridal couture created with rich Indian heritage, exquisite craftsmanship...

Sanjukta Dutta
Sanjukta's Studio

<b>Sanjukta Dutta</b> creates unique garments by clubbing prints of...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

August 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes
67.7%
No
16.1%
Skip
16.1%

Total Votes: 31

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes
45.2%
No
35.5%
Skip
19.4%

Total Votes: 31

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes
83.9%
No
6.5%
Skip
9.7%

Total Votes: 31

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.

Active Poll

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes
61.3%
No
9.7%
Skip
29.0%

Total Votes: 31


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search