Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Philippines aims to revive Mindanao silk industry
Philippines aims to revive Mindanao silk industry
03
Feb '17
The department of trade and industry (DTI) in Bukidnon, Philippines has joined the technology mission organised by Northern Mindanao Technical Working Group (TWG), in an attempt to revitalise the Mindanao silk industry. The activity aims to learn more about the potentials of the industry and study the technologies needed to improve productivity.

The partnership will also explore the possibility of forging a partnership between different agencies in Northern Mindanao, and leading silk manufacturers in the country.

The TWG team visited the sericulture project of the Organisation for Industrial, Spiritual and Cultural Advancement (OISCA) Bago Training Centre, which within its 26-hectare farmland produces 1.5 tons of silk yarn annually, accounting for 90 per cent of the country’s total production.

Around 80 per cent of its silk products are sold to weavers in Aklan, and the remaining 20 percent to Manila based traders.

Philippine fashion designer Melody Parrel-Pimentel, along with other key government agencies too are pushing for the revival of Mindanao silk. (AR)

Fibre2Fashion News Desk – India


Must ReadView All

Global economic upswing became broader & stronger: IMF

Textiles | On 19th Apr 2018

Global economic upswing became broader & stronger: IMF

The global economic upswing that began around mid-2016 has become...

Courtesy: ITMA

Textiles | On 19th Apr 2018

ITMA 2019 expanding space due to overwhelming response

Due to overwhelming response, the exhibition space has been increased ...

Indian inter-ministerial group to study e-commerce issues

Apparel/Garments | On 19th Apr 2018

Indian inter-ministerial group to study e-commerce issues

The Indian Government has set up an inter-ministerial group to study...

Interviews View All

Smith Vaghasia
Sanado India

Online remains the best destination for shopping

Karan Toshniwal
Orange O Tec

Contemporary industry is paying more and more attention to the...

Awen Delaval
Samatoa

'Natural fibres are appreciated for traditional authenticity'

Urmil Arya

Sushila International, a well established textile organisation established ...

Rikesh Mistry

Jupiter Comtex Pvt Ltd, established in 1973, started its textile machinery ...

Tejas N Patel, Navin D Patel

Founded in 1999 by Navin Patel in the name of Tejas Fabrics with 100...

Ashok Desai
Bombay Textile Research Association

Bombay Textile Research Association (BTRA) is a leading name in textile...

Kai Poehler
Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG

The glass mat industry is growing by five to eight per cent annually. Kai...

Giorgio Mantovani
Corman S.p.A

Giorgio Mantovani, MD of Corman, with a presence in both Milano and New...

Divvya and Nidhhi Gambhir
Walnut

<b>Divvya and Nidhhi Gambhir</b> started their career with the launch of...

Mike Hoffman
Gildan Activewear SRL

Gildan Activewear, a manufacturer and marketer of branded clothing and...

Prathyusha Garimella
Prathyusha Garimella

Hyderabad-based designer <b>Prathyusha Garimella</b> is known for blending ...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


April 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes
69.9%
No
12.6%
Skip
17.5%

Total Votes: 103

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes
63.1%
No
29.1%
Skip
7.8%

Total Votes: 103

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes
87.4%
No
8.7%
Skip
3.9%

Total Votes: 103

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.

Active Poll

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes
82.5%
No
7.8%
Skip
9.7%

Total Votes: 103


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search