Merchandising denotes all the planned activities to execute and dispatch the merchandise on time taking into consideration the 4 Rs of expediting Right Cost, Right Quantity, Right Quality and Right Time.
FUNCTIONS OF MERCHANDISERS
1. Sample order execution
After the receipt of the Specification, pertaining to the sample order, the merchandiser has to understand what the requirements of buyers are. Sometimes there may be amendments related to any of the specifications in the sample order sheet. It is the duty of the merchandiser to execute sample order and dispatch on time the Right quality.
merchandisers should know the following details while costing.
- Yarn cost.
- Process cost (Knitting, Bleaching, and Raising etc.)
- Rates pertaining to various sewing operations.
- CMT (Cut Make Trim) Rate.
- Ironing charges, packing charges and accessories rate.
- Shortage (or) wastage 3%.
- Free on Board (FOB) (Transport charges) 2% to 3%.
- Insurance 2%-3%,
- Buyers agents commission 5%-6%,
- Quota rate per garment.
- Profit 15% - 20%
Most probably programming is done by production manager. In some companies it is done by the merchandisers. The following factors should be considered in programming.
About the Author:
M.R. Karthikeyan is an Expatriate Lecturer in Textile Engineering, Kombolcha Institute of Technology, Wollo University, Ethiopia.