Polyester accounts for 80% of all synthetic fiber products and 40% of all fiber products, so polyester recycling can greatly reduce environmental burden.
Foundation of Teikoku Rayon Comapny Limited in 1918- the very first rayon plant established in Japan laid the corner stone for today’s giant Teijin Group of companies. Over these 93 years of existence, the group now marks its presence across the globe with 72 subsidiaries located in Japan, and 78 in regions like-North America, Asia, Europe. The group employs over 17,500 people from different nations and races. Teijin’s businesses-share breakdown (FY2010) includes materials-related segments, namely, High-Performance Fibers (Aramid Fibers Business Group, Carbon Fibers Business Group), Polyester Fibers Business, and Films and Plastics (Plastics Business Group and Films Business Group) representing 52% of Group’s consolidated net sales. The remaining 48% is by the Pharmaceuticals and Home Health Care segment (Medical and Pharmaceuticals Business Group) and the Trading and Retail segment (Fiber Products Marketing Business Group) of which the Medical and Pharmaceuticals Business Group is responsible for 17%. The Polyester Fiber Business Group deals into Polyester Fibers/Textiles; Polyethylene Naphthalate (PEN) Fibers, and Polyester Monofilaments as principal products. It manufactures and sells the polyester fiber TETORON and polyester monofilament. These products are used mainly in apparel (men's and women’s apparel), interior decorating (curtains and other items), automotive interiors (seats) and tyre codes and material for paper manufacture. Mr Toshihide Fukushima is the general manager of Teijin’s Polyester Fibers Business Group and the president & CEO of Teijin Fibers Limited. Since he started his career at Teijin in 1975, he has been engaged in polyester fiber and apparel businesses in Japan, Italy and China. Mr Toshihide Fukushima, sharing a word with Ms Madhu Soni, Sr Editor & Correspondent- Face2Face, provides a deal of information from his area of expertise- Polyester sector worldwide.
Face2face extends a warm welcome, Mr Fukushima! Teijin Group is a giant with presence in multiple industries. Shall we begin this discourse with a note from you on the significance that polyester fibers make to Teijin’s textile presence, as well as Teijn’s Fibers growth strategies?
On that note, kindly also let us know the key trends that are likely to scale up your industry prospects. Which all regions would see upswing in the sector?
Can you also apprise us with rationale behind recent global expansion of Teijin's recycling initiatives for polyester?
DISCLAIMER: All views and opinions expressed in this column are solely of the interviewee, and they do not reflect in any way the opinion of Fibre2Fashion.com.