- Sales rise to £1.26 billion, up 18.8%
- Full-year pre tax profit falls to £55.1 million or 18.3%
- Ongoing robust performance in core Sports fascias which continue to provide investment platform for future profitability in JD in Europe. In the UK and Ireland, these fascias contributed an additional £4.7m of operating profits in the year (before exceptional items) and we are building an appropriate store base in Europe for future success there.
- The good performance in the Sports fascias has continued in the current financial year with like for like sales growth in the UK and Ireland stores (excl Champion) of 1.9% in the 9 weeks to 6 April 2013.
- £14.9 million of operating losses (before exceptional items) incurred in Outdoor fascias but performance improving now that new management team has been installed with stocks being better managed, store investment commenced and ongoing cost reduction programme to deliver benefits in the current financial year.
Like for like sales in Outdoor in the current financial year have benefitted significantly both from the recent sustained cold weather and a sustained clearance programme from January through to March.
Peter Cowgill, Executive Chairman, said:"The core Sports fascias in the UK continue to produce excellent results and provide the Group with a very solid foundation for ongoing profitability and cash generation.
"We are pleased overall with the start that we have made to the new year. A very considerable amount of reorganisation in both Outdoor Retail and our warehousing and distribution operations is now behind us and this should benefit trading in the balance of the year.
"The Group is exceptionally well positioned with its retail proposition, financial resources and extended management experience to take advantage of opportunities both in the UK and internationally.
"Whilst the Board recognises that recent acquisition activity has impacted on short term returns, it remains confident that the Group is well positioned to deliver earnings growth and increased shareholder returns over the longer term."
Click here to read full results.
Textiles | On 29th Feb 2020
A new project funded by the European Union to strengthen Nepal's path ...
Apparel/Garments | On 29th Feb 2020
The coronavirus outbreak has been affecting the Thai apparel industry ...
Retail | On 29th Feb 2020
Goods procured from units in special economic zones (SEZs) by...
'Natural fibres are appreciated for traditional authenticity'
Indian fashion industry
Organic the first choice of any environment-conscious person
Fashion industry likely to remain labour-intensive in coming years
The Livinguard Technology is owned by Green Impact Holding AG based in...
<div>Xaar plc develops digital inkjet technology; it designs and...
Turkey-based Temsan Air Engineering is one of the leading manufacturers of ...
Birmingham City University (BCU)
<div>A technological breakthrough could see people getting messages about...
Freudenberg Performance Materials is a leading global manufacturer of...
City University of Hong Kong
<div><b>Chunyi Zhi</b>, associate professor in the Department of Materials ...