Home / Knowledge / News / Largest shoe production plant taking shape at KEPZ

Largest shoe production plant taking shape at KEPZ

28
Apr '10
A $110 million shoe factory is being established at the Karnaphuli Export Processing Zone (KEPZ). Korea-based Youngone Group is setting up Karnaphuli Shoe Industries Ltd, considered to be one of Bangladesh's biggest shoe production companies and will have a production capacity of 30 million pairs per month.

Lt Col (retd) Md Shahjahan, General Manager of KEPZ Corporation (BD) Ltd, another company of Youngone Group, said that with the commencement of the shoe factory, employment opportunities for over 32,000 people will be generated in 72 different production lines.

The factory is being developed by the Karnaphuli Shoe Industries with an aim to encourage prospective entrepreneurs to join the sector, so that they can avoid facing the initial setbacks while developing their own factory, at the newly developed EPZ site, he said.

So as to develop the EPZ on the banks of river Karnaphuli in Anowara Upazila, around 2,700 acres of land was assigned to the company in the year 2000, by publishing a notification in the official gazette.

Shahjahan said that, while 75 percent of the land was under government possession, the remaining 25 percent was yet to be acquired from private owners. So, as of now, only 2,492 acres of land has been assigned to KEPZ from a total of 2,700 acres.

It intends to utilize around 1,200 acres of land for setting up the industrial units in separate blocks of different industries, while the remaining land will be left untouched.

He also said that, by now, almost 20-21 kilometres of roadways has been created to ensure better connectivity of the entire project site with its surrounding areas.

Shahjahan concluded by saying that, an approximate budget of $200 million has been set aside for developing infrastructural facilities; this is excluding the utility services. Also, currently, about 600 workers are working on the site.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Apparel/Garments | On 4th Aug 2021

US FTC votes to reverse course on repeal of fabric care labels

The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently voted to retain the...

Pic: Shutterstock

Retail | On 4th Aug 2021

June retail turnover in Germany up by 4.2% over previous month

Retail sales in Germany rose much more than expected in June...

Pic: Kontoor Brands/Wrangler

Apparel/Garments | On 4th Aug 2021

US’ Kontoor aims for sustainable growth with diversity & inclusivity

Kontoor Brands, an American apparel company with denim brands like...

Interviews View All

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Main challenges are breakdown of supply chain and shrinkage of manpower

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Great step towards realising end goal of 'AtmaNirbhar Bharat'

Florian Heubrandner, Lenzing AG

Florian Heubrandner
Lenzing AG

Sustainable and eco-friendly fibres remain in the minority

Shambhu Nath Jha,

Shambhu Nath Jha

Leading research and consulting firm Fact.MR recently launched a report on ...

Yawer Ali Shah,

Yawer Ali Shah

Synthetic colours and dyes were all the rage till the very first ban on...

Raiyan Islam,

Raiyan Islam

Founded in 1981 by Sayeeful Islam, Concorde Garments Group is a market...

Jacques Prigneaux, EDANA

Jacques Prigneaux
EDANA

EDANA has been the leading global association and voice of the nonwovens...

Tiasha Renganathan, Twinery Innovations by MAS

Tiasha Renganathan
Twinery Innovations by MAS

Twinery-Innovations by MAS is the innovation arm of Sri Lankan company MAS ...

Suresh Patel, Non Woven Federation of India

Suresh Patel
Non Woven Federation of India

The Non Woven Federation of India (NWFI), representing the regional...

Aprajita Toor, Aprajita Toor

Aprajita Toor
Aprajita Toor

The creations by Aprajita Toor were born out of a deep desire to create...

Sweta Agarwal, A Humming Way

Sweta Agarwal
A Humming Way

A Humming Way (AHW) is inspired by the old-world regalia of Rajasthan...

Suman Nathwani, Suman Nathwani

Suman Nathwani
Suman Nathwani

Designer <b>Suman Nathwani</b> talks about her journey of opening a...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


July 2021

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search