The First-Round Jury Session took place for the very first time in Hong Kong at the Institute of Textiles and Clothing of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) on 22 April 2013, during which 50 creative and innovative projects that best represented the set theme "Resilience" were selected.
Many prominent international and local fashion educators have been invited as judges at the First-Round Jury Session. They were:
- Minna Cheung, Senior Lecturer and Course Leader, Fashion and Clothing Design Department, Institute of Design and Fine Arts, Lahti University of Applied Sciences, Finland
- Seema Mahajan, Assistant Professor and Course Leader, MA Fashion and Textiles Design Department, Pearl Academy, New Delhi, India
- Brigida Ribeiros, Assistant Professor, Fashion and Textile Design Department, Instituto Polytecnico de Castelo Branco, Portugal
-Raymond Au, Professor and Associate Head, Institute of Textiles and Clothing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Bingbing Du, Associate Professor, Fashion Design Department, School of Fashion Art and Engineering, The Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology
- Li Li, Assistant Professor, Institute of Textiles and Clothing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Sung Hyon Kim, Assistant Professor, Fashion Design Department, Samsung Art and Design Institute, Seoul
- Sarah Charles, Principal Lecturer and Course Leader, Fashion Design and Technology Department, Arts University of Bournemouth, U.K.
- Lynn Blake, Associate Professor and Department Chair, Fashion Program, Lasell College, Massachusetts, U.S.
-Radley Cramer, Assistant Professor and Program Director, Fashion Program, School of Communications and the Arts, Marist College, New York, U.S.
- Nathalie Doucet, President and Director, Collaborative Educational Initiatives and Research, The Arts of Fashion Foundation, California, U.S.
Apart from coherence with the theme, the judging of entries is also based on skill level, creativity and artful expressiveness.
The 50 shortlisted projects will enter the final round of the event to be held in the last week of October 2013 to compete for scholarships to the Arts of Fashion 4-week Summer Master Class in Paris and apprenticeship opportunities with international prestigious fashion houses.
According to the organizer, the fashion competition exists to promote and reward creativity and inventiveness, discover young talent and facilitate careers, enriching contacts and exchanges between different countries, schools and universities, and to foster new relationships between those from different industries and fields.
Following the First-Round Jury Session was a "Fashion.edu" seminar held on 23 April during which world renowned fashion professors, industry practitioners and professional designers presented their research works and designs to their peers.
Apparel/Garments | On 20th Sep 2018
A major challenge for the Indian apparel sector is its fragmented...
Textiles | On 20th Sep 2018
The US National Retail Federation (NRF) has expressed disappointment...
Textiles | On 20th Sep 2018
Rise in demand from China, lower domestic prices and depreciation of...
Bridalwear is not about reds and whites anymore
Varinder Singh Jawanda
Sizing and fitting issues are inherent problems for companies expanding...
Domestic manufacturers would get an edge over imported products
Softech Controls Private Limited (SCPL) is a part of the Cotmac Group, an...
Shamal and Shamal Pvt Ltd is into manufacturing and sales of textile...
Divyam Export, launched about 30 years ago, exports to 15 countries,...
European School of Business & innovation
Cutting-edge ideas like the Internet of Things and artificial intelligence ...
Sidwin Fabric is a manufacturer and exporter of polypropylene textiles and ...
Schlegel und Partner GmbH
<div>Schlegel und Partner is the market research and consultancy company...
Label Ritu Kumar
‘Classics will return’ "There are a lot of people wearing western clothes ...
Threads & Shirts
Threads & Shirts is a freshly-tailored concept providing men/women a...
India Boulevard is a San Francisco-based curated fashion marketplace that...