EcoRowe with Bruce styles to be displayed at HPFM
October 15, 2008 - United States Of America
Rowe Fine Furniture announces that eco and organic elements have been integrated into the production of its designer collection of upholstered furniture, known as Robin Bruce. Fabrics, cushion cores and wood used in the frames now bare environmentally friendly elements similar to the company’s main Rowe Furniture collection. The EcoRowe concept was introduced in October 2007 and proved a popular enhancement to the existing, award-winning upholstery collection.
During the October 2008 High Point Furniture Market, the new Robin Bruce styles, as well as the existing styles that are on display, will offer:
• 90 natural fiber fabrics including the introduction of 8 certified organic cottons;
• eco-elements in the cushion cores of the existing three options, the “Lisa”, “Susan” and “Katie” cushions; and
• the use of wood from replenished forests in the making of the frames.
Natural Fiber Fabrics including Certified Organic Cottons
The Robin Bruce collection of 90 natural fiber fabrics includes:
• 8 certified organic cottons
• 66 cotton fabrics
• 5 linen fabrics
• 9 linen/cotton blends
• 1 hemp
• 1 bamboo/cotton blend
The introduction of eight certified organic cotton fabrics demonstrates our commitment to providing consumers with a high level of eco-friendly options. In order for an upholstery cotton fabric to be considered organic, the cotton must be raised and harvested in accordance with the strict standards of one or more of the many certification companies within the United States or abroad.
The organic cotton fabrics included in the Robin Bruce Collection are woven using 100% IMO (Institute of Marketecology) certified organic cotton that has been grown through a carefully guided and strictly regulated process which dictates that no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers are used. Also, the soil has to be pesticide-free for three years before the cotton can be grown. All of the organic yarns are dyed by an IMO certified dyer using IMO certified, low-impact, earth friendly dyes with less metal compounds than most dyes. Each shipment of organic cotton fabric is accompanied by an IMO certification.
Certified organic cotton is sustainable, renewable, and biodegradable, making it an excellent choice as an environmentally-friendly fiber throughout its product cycle.
Certified organic cotton fabrics are naturally hypoallergenic and non-irritating. They are also finished with an Eco Wash process which uses anti-migrant, bio-degradable solvents to prevent color migration. The Eco Wash Process uses 90% less water during the wash and 50% less gas during the drying time. In addition, the water which is used is recycled.
Eco Cushion Cores
The three cushion core options in the Robin Bruce collection are:
• “Lisa” – A duck feather/down and fiber blend with a high-resiliency foam core in the center which is wrappedwith a softer foam. The fiber is a material that was used for another purpose (i.e. soda bottles, etc.). It is considered a renewable resource hence it is eco-friendly and sustainable. The combination of the fiber with the feather/down blend creates the necessary resiliency for the cushion.
• “Katie” – A very dense and layered blend of duck feather and down with a high resiliency foam core in the center surrounded by another wrap of softer foam. The duck feather and down are hypo-allergenic due to the cleaning process via bio-degradable emulsifiers, etc.
• “Susan” – A high-resiliency foam core used in designs where a more tailored styling is desirable. This cushion offers a medium-firm seating experience. A highly-durable comfort material containing plant based renewable, raw materials. Natural ingredients replace significant amounts of the petroleum-based materials traditionally used in foam.
Eco Wood Frames
Rowe Fine Furniture Inc is proud to be a founding member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council. Lumber which is harvested from domestic forests which are replenished is used in the production of furniture frames for the Robin Bruce Collection.