Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / 400 Bangla textile, RMG factories shut operations in 3 yrs

400 Bangla textile, RMG factories shut operations in 3 yrs

19
Mar '20
Pic: Shutterstock
Pic: Shutterstock
Nearly 400 textile and readymade garment (RMG) factories in Bangladesh closed operations during the last three years, leaving more than 0.11 million workers jobless in different industrial zones. In contrast, a total of 259 new units were set up during the period, Industrial Police data shows. About 60,636 have been employed in the new factories.

Out of the 400 closed factories, some 318 units were members of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA), 71 were registered with the Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporter Association (BKMEA), while 13 were associated with the Bangladesh Textile Mills Association (BTMA), according to the data.

The data was collected from industrial zones like Ashulia, Gazipur, Narayanganj and Chattogram.

As entrepreneurs are making fresh investments in setting up new units with safety compliance, modern and green technology, older small and non-compliant ones are failing to sustain in the competitive market, according to a report in a Bangla newspaper.

Industry insiders also attributed insolvency of the owners followed by rising production cost, failure to maintain the strict compliance and the wage structure for the shut-down.

In 2018, Gazipur witnessed the highest number of factory closure, followed by 97 in Ashulia, 57 in Narayanganj and 28 in Chattogram. On the other hand, 118 new textile and garment factories have been set up in Ashulia zone.

During the period, 72 factories registered with the BGMEA and the BKMEA were established in Gazipur in Chattogram and nine in Narayanganj.

The BGMEA has presently around 4,500 member factories. Around 40 per cent of BGMEA member factories are knitwear and sweater manufacturers, and the remaining 60 per cent are woven garment manufacturers.

On the other hand, some 1,100 factories are registered with the BKMEA and the BTMA has 1,500 members.

Fibre2Fashion News Desk (DS)


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 10th Apr 2020

Govt exempts PPE, face mask import from customs duty

Considering the immediate requirement of personal protection...

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 10th Apr 2020

Opportunity for India post-Covid-19: Wazir Advisors

Post-coronavirus, some brands will follow the strategy of...

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 10th Apr 2020

Mainland China economy contracted in March: IHS Markit

Business activity in China fell for a second successive month in...

Interviews View All

Top executives, Textile industry

Top executives
Textile industry

Denimsandjeans India 2018

Ajay Ghariwala, Luthra Group

Ajay Ghariwala
Luthra Group

We are ready to adopt or follow every opportunity

Saket Garg, Garg Corporation

Saket Garg
Garg Corporation

The biggest challenge is lack of skilled workforce and competition from...

Eric Schoeller,

Eric Schoeller

Groz-Beckert is the world's leading provider of industrial machine...

Franco Ravazzi,

Franco Ravazzi

Italy-based Tessimenti E Orditi Tinti (T.O.T SRL) specialises in stocking...

Christiane Thies,

Christiane Thies

Founded in 1892, Thies has concentrated on the fabrication of high-quality ...

Robert Erichsen, Statex Produktions & Vertriebs GmbH

Robert Erichsen
Statex Produktions & Vertriebs GmbH

Statex Produktions & Vertriebs Gmbh, founded in 1978 and headquartered ...

Melissa Tate, University of New South Wales

Melissa Tate
University of New South Wales

<div><div><div><div><b>Melissa Tate</b>, a well-known scientist currently...

Pierre Wiertz, EDANA

Pierre Wiertz
EDANA

EDANA, the international association serving the nonwovens and related...

Amiben Shroff, Shrujan

Amiben Shroff
Shrujan

From its modest beginning in the late 1960s, Shrujan has grown into a...

Vaanee Bhatia, Gritstones Clothing

Vaanee Bhatia
Gritstones Clothing

<div>Delhi-based Gritstones Clothing offers quality and exemplary style...

Sonam & Paras Modi, SVA

Sonam & Paras Modi
SVA

Sonam and Paras Modi's Sva Couture is synonymous with head-turning...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


April 2020

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search