Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / S'Lanka becomes attractive textile investment destination

S'Lanka becomes attractive textile investment destination

26
Dec '11
The Sri Lankan apparel industry spends more than 60 percent of the amount it generates through exports, on imports of key raw materials like yarn and fabrics.

This presents an opportunity for the highly developed textile industry in neighbouring countries like India and Pakistan to invest in the Sri Lankan textile sector.

Of the US $4 billion it generated through clothing exports, the island imported raw materials to the tune of $2.5 billion.

The Sri Lankan garment industry has established itself as a global supplier of high-end fashion clothing to retailers like, which has helped it establish itself as a high-end garment producer of garments servicing leading international brands.

These global buyers include well-known retailers and brands as Victoria's Secret, Marks and Spencer, Nike, Tommy Hilfiger, Abercrombie and Fitch, Gap, Ann Taylor, etc.

In the budgetary announcement made in November this year, the Sri Lankan President abolished duties on yarn imports from January 2012.

In the budget, President Rajapaksa has also proposed removing customs duty and value-added tax imposed on textile machinery and other equipment imported to modernise the textile sector.

Other proposals include, extending long-term tax holidays for new investments and reducing income tax on large investments in existing textile mills.

In order to meet the increase in demand from the domestic markets, the government has even permitted deemed garment exporters to sell up to 25 percent of their production in local markets, subject to that the rest of the 75 percent will be exported.

This measure will help in restricting imports of clothing and in turn save precious foreign exchange.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

S Korea signs free trade agreement with Cambodia

Textiles | On 26th Oct 2021

S Korea signs free trade agreement with Cambodia

South Korea and Cambodia have signed a free trade agreement to deepen ...

Pic: Shutterstock

Retail | On 26th Oct 2021

UK retail sales volumes drop by 0.2% in Sept 2021: ONS

UK retail sales volumes fell by 0.2 per cent in September following...

S Korea, Philippines sign free trade agreement

Textiles | On 26th Oct 2021

S Korea, Philippines sign free trade agreement

South Korea recently signed a free trade agreement with the...

Interviews View All

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Extension of RoSCTL to boost textile exports

Textile Industry, Head Honchos

Textile Industry
Head Honchos

Increase foreign exchange and create jobs

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Blockchain is not a silver bullet for each and every problem in supply...

Ritu Oberoi,

Ritu Oberoi

Mumbai-based Forsarees is a socially driven business enterprise, working...

Akram Tariq Khan,

Akram Tariq Khan

E-commerce brand YourLibaas meaning "garment or attire" in Udru, was...

Mumin Can Eker,

Mumin Can Eker

Maseksport Inc is a readymade garment exporter. Founded in Izmir in 1989,...

Silverio Baranzano, Fitesa

Silverio Baranzano
Fitesa

Fitesa is a leader in the nonwoven fabrics industry, specialising in...

Wolfgang Plasser, Lenzing AG

Wolfgang Plasser
Lenzing AG

The Lenzing Group is an international company headquartered in Austria...

Johann-Philipp Dilo, Dilo Group

Johann-Philipp Dilo
Dilo Group

German company Dilo Group is one of the leading equipment suppliers of...

Sarah Denise Cordery, Sarah Denise Studio

Sarah Denise Cordery
Sarah Denise Studio

Manchester, England-based Sarah Denise Studio provides relevant fashion...

Vidur Adlakha & Riccardo Bennidini, La Fuori

Vidur Adlakha & Riccardo Bennidini
La Fuori

With an active presence in US, Italy and India, clothing brand La Fuori...

Sandeep Gonsalves & Sarah Gonsalves, Sarah & Sandeep

Sandeep Gonsalves & Sarah Gonsalves
Sarah & Sandeep

Established in 2012, Sarah & Sandeep is a luxury menswear label...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


October 2021

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search