Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Orissa set to implement centre's handloom sector package

Orissa set to implement centre's handloom sector package

14
Aug '12
The Government of Orissa, a state in eastern India, has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Bank for Agricultural and Rural Development (NABARD) and the Central Government for implementation of the Rs. 30 billion package that the Centre announced almost eight months back for revival, reform and restructuring of the handloom sector.
 
The Central Government package includes a loan waiver scheme for all states, including Orissa.
 
The package focuses on clearing the choked lines of credit flow to the handloom industry, extending fresh credit flow with interest subvention and credit guarantee, and effecting legal and institutional reforms in the sector.
 
Highlighting the main points of the package, Sarojini Hembram, Minister of State for Textiles and Handlooms, said the package aims at extending recapitalization assistance to the Apex and Primary Weavers’ Cooperative Societies that were viable or potentially viable as on March 31, 2010. 
 
About 5,861 individual weavers, 1,594 self help groups and 435 Primary Weavers’ Cooperative Societies are expected to benefit from the package, she said.
 
Also, under the package it is proposed to waive loans that individual weavers would have obtained from banks for handloom purposes, to the tune of up to Rs. 50,000 per weaver, the Minister said.
 
She informed that in lines with the MoU, NABARD has approved the claim worth Rs. 78.7 million made by regional rural banks (RRBs) for waiving overdue loans of individual weavers. 
 
Waiver of the loan, which includes 100 percent principal and 25 percent interest, would be borne by the Central Government and the state government in the ratio of 80:20, while the rest 75 percent interest would be borne by the concerned banks, the Minister said.
 
The Government of Orissa has already made a provision of Rs. 300 million for this purpose in the State Budget 2012-13, she added.
 

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Retail | On 29th Jul 2021

UK department store Selfridges put up for sale for £4 bn

Canada's Weston family that owns Selfridges has put up the UK...

Pic: Shutterstock

Fashion | On 29th Jul 2021

Australians value ethical fashion but struggle to take action: Report

Australian consumers feel ethical purchasing is important, but are...

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 28th Jul 2021

Global economy projected to grow at 6% in 2021, 4.9% in 2022: IMF

The IMF recently projected the global economy to grow at 6 per cent...

Interviews View All

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

The pandemic has reinstated need for organised retail spaces in Tier II...

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Delay in adopting water sustainability both financially & environmentally...

Footwear Industry, Footwear Retailers

Footwear Industry
Footwear Retailers

Still struggling to mop up higher sales

Gus Bartholomew,

Gus Bartholomew

<b>Gus Bartholomew</b>, co-founder of SupplyCompass, explains to <b>Subir...

Andrea Pelissero,

Andrea Pelissero

Located near Milan, Italy, and with 50 years of experience in the textile...

Tony Naschberger,

Tony Naschberger

With production sites in Klagenfurt and Kufstein, Zimmer Austria is a...

Jacques Prigneaux, EDANA

Jacques Prigneaux
EDANA

EDANA has been the leading global association and voice of the nonwovens...

Johann-Philipp Dilo, Dilo Group

Johann-Philipp Dilo
Dilo Group

German company Dilo Group is one of the leading equipment suppliers of...

Kevin Young & Tom Lucas, Web Industries

Kevin Young & Tom Lucas
Web Industries

Web Industries is a precision formatter of nonwoven materials used in baby ...

Sandeep Gonsalves & Sarah Gonsalves, Sarah & Sandeep

Sandeep Gonsalves & Sarah Gonsalves
Sarah & Sandeep

Established in 2012, Sarah &amp; Sandeep is a luxury menswear label...

Ramya Rao & Kavea R Chavali, Kalaneca

Ramya Rao & Kavea R Chavali
Kalaneca

<div>The journey of Kalaneca (kala-Art, Neca- Nikaah) formally began in...

Anjali Bhaskar, Samatvam

Anjali Bhaskar
Samatvam

Anjali Bhaskar has an experience of 12 years in the fashion industry. She...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


July 2021

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search