Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / ASSOCHAM on 'Retail Scenario in India and Its Related Issues'

ASSOCHAM on 'Retail Scenario in India and Its Related Issues'

05
Feb '07
In a Paper brought out by ASSOCHAM on `Retail Scenario in India and Its Related Issues', it has been stated that approx. 40 million sq. ft. is currently generating a business of about US$ 4 billion in organised retail.

According to the Paper, the total retailing size in India is currently estimated at US$ 16 billion of which organised sector accounts for only 25% market share and remaining 75% is in the unorganised sector. Slowly and gradually, with boom in retailing continuing, the organised retail sector in small towns beyond metros will grow at a staggering level of 50-60% as compared to less than 35% in the large cities purely on account of scarcity of space which is in plenty beyond metros with reasonable land prices and without cumbersome procedure for land acquisitions, says the Paper.

Commenting on the Paper, ASSOCHAM President, Mr. Venugopal N. Dhoot said that, “India's vast middle-class and its almost untapped retail industry are key attractions for global retail giants wanting to enter newer markets and India provides for the ideal locations”.

Since, Delhi and its suburbs have so far seen the growth of 100 bigger and smaller malls, roughly 600 new malls are coming up in other metropolis and large townships in which less than 35% of retail business is going to be transacted. The Paper reveals that over 1000 malls are in the pipelines for smaller townships in which the retail sector is projected to grow at over 60% because of ample availability of land and increased purchasing power of the folks living in those areas because of increased economic activities.


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 27th Sep 2021

China's infrastructure plan to spur domestic demand, economic change

China’s State Council's executive meeting recently adopted the 14th...

Pic: Shutterstock

Apparel/Garments | On 27th Sep 2021

AAFA calls for tariff relief as US industry deals with shipping crisis

American Apparel & Footwear Association president and CEO Steve Lamar ...

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 27th Sep 2021

Bangladesh seeks duty-free market access to US

Bangladesh recently urged the US to provide duty-free access to its...

Interviews View All

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Marry craft and utility

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Switch was not 100% pandemic related

International apparel brands, Head honchos

International apparel brands
Head honchos

Launched first collection at onset of Covid

Susan Bhaktul,

Susan Bhaktul

Established in 2000 as a liaison with the Government of India, Industree...

Benedetta Terraneo,

Benedetta Terraneo

Miko Srl, a subsidiary of US-based Sage Automotive Interiors and a member...

Sanjay Jhunjhunwalla,

Sanjay Jhunjhunwalla

In the financial hub of eastern India, Kolkata, a humble production...

Tiasha Renganathan, Twinery Innovations by MAS

Tiasha Renganathan
Twinery Innovations by MAS

Twinery-Innovations by MAS is the innovation arm of Sri Lankan company MAS ...

Shlomzion Chen, Seevix

Shlomzion Chen
Seevix

Seevix Material Sciences Ltd, which develops and manufactures synthetic...

Robert Brookins, Alexium International

Robert Brookins
Alexium International

Alexium International is a specialty chemical development company...

Niti Singhal, Twee In One

Niti Singhal
Twee In One

Best known for convertible clothing, Indian brand Twee In One by designer...

Sunita Shanker, Label Sunita Shanker

Sunita Shanker
Label Sunita Shanker

Inspired by the rich traditional crafts of India, Sunita Shanker’s work is ...

Sarah Denise Cordery, Sarah Denise Studio

Sarah Denise Cordery
Sarah Denise Studio

Manchester, England-based Sarah Denise Studio provides relevant fashion...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


September 2021

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search