Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / FIASWI welcomes rationalization of duties in Budget 2007-2008

FIASWI welcomes rationalization of duties in Budget 2007-2008

06
Mar '07
Union Budget 2007-2008 is out and textile players are happy to know that TUFS has been extended.

A. N. Jariwala, Chairman, FEDERATION OF INDIAN ART SILK WEAVING INDUSTRY, thanks Shankersinh Vaghela, Union Textile Minister for extending TUFS in 11th Five Year Plan.

We thank you Sir, for extending the TUF Scheme during the 11th Five Year Plan and also getting larger allocation in the Budget. We also welcome the proposal in the Budget for reduction of Customs Duty on Polyester filament yarn from 10% to 7.5%.

However, this reduction in Customs duty will not have any impact on imports of Polyester filament yarn on account of Anti-dumping Duty on imports from China PR, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea RP, Chinese Taipei, Turkey and Thailand.

The domestic Spinners have welcomed the Budget by increasing the prices of indigenous Polyester filament yarn by Rs.2 to Rs.5 per kg. on 1st March, 2007, inspite of the reduction in Customs Duty on their raw materials, i.e. D.M.T., P.T.A., etc. Besides, the Customs duty on PFY is 7.5% + 4% Special CVD, i.e. a total of 11.5%, while the Customs duty on fabrics is 10%. Thus, the raw material prices are higher than the finished products i.e. fabrics.

The export of Polyester filament yarn including Partially Oriented Yarn (POY) and Polyester Texturised Yarn (PTY) and its fabrics is showing an alarming situation. As per the data from the Synthetic & Rayon Textiles Export Promotion Council (SRTEPC), While the export of Polyester fabrics has increased by 13.30% during April-December 2006 compared to the same period in 2005, the total exports of PFY/ POY/ PTY has increased by 100% during the same period. This has resulted into shortage of yarns to that extent, fluctuation in prices of indigenous yarns, closing down of powerloom units and throwing workers out of employment. It is also discouraging the export of value added fabrics as yarn export is growing at an alarming rate, as per the above data.


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Apparel/Garments | On 23rd Oct 2021

FDRA urges US govt to remove tariffs causing kids' shoe price spikes

The Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America (FDRA) has sent...

Pic: Sorbis / Shutterstock.com

Fashion | On 23rd Oct 2021

Calvin Klein & Louis Vuitton top 2 trustworthy brands for US customers

Calvin Klein, an iconic American brand that has existed since 1968,...

Pic: Breuninger

E-commerce | On 23rd Oct 2021

Fashion retailer Breuninger to launch e-commerce portal in Poland

After Austria (2017) and Switzerland (2019), fashion company...

Interviews View All

International apparel brands, Head honchos

International apparel brands
Head honchos

Launched first collection at onset of Covid

Textile Industry, Head Honchos

Textile Industry
Head Honchos

Increase foreign exchange and create jobs

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Blockchains will be in heavy use by early adopters by 2025

Seema Mishra,

Seema Mishra

Set up in January 2020 by <b>Seema Mishra</b>, the Kasrawad Art Cluster...

Harleen Kaur,

Harleen Kaur

Established in 2017 and headquartered New York, the label Harleen Kaur...

Meghavi Suthar,

Meghavi Suthar

Founded by NIFT graduate <b>Meghavi Suthar </b>in 2017, Kala is an...

Tiasha Renganathan, Twinery Innovations by MAS

Tiasha Renganathan
Twinery Innovations by MAS

Twinery-Innovations by MAS is the innovation arm of Sri Lankan company MAS ...

Wolfgang Plasser, Lenzing AG

Wolfgang Plasser
Lenzing AG

The Lenzing Group is an international company headquartered in Austria...

Daniel Roxbury, University of Rhode Island

Daniel Roxbury
University of Rhode Island

Assistant professor Daniel Roxbury and former URI graduate student...

Gavin Miguel, Label Gavin Miguel

Gavin Miguel
Label Gavin Miguel

Acclaimed fashion designer <b>Gavin Migue</b>l is known for his couture...

Archana Jaju, Label Archana Jaju

Archana Jaju
Label Archana Jaju

<b>Archana Jaju</b>’s Hyderabad-based eponymous label works with artisans...

Ramya Rao & Kavea R Chavali, Kalaneca

Ramya Rao & Kavea R Chavali
Kalaneca

<div>The journey of Kalaneca (kala-Art, Neca- Nikaah) formally began in...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


October 2021

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search