Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / Amid slowdown in China, PRG diversifies businesses
Amid slowdown in China, PRG diversifies businesses
07
Jun '16
Courtesy: Parkson
Courtesy: Parkson
Malaysia-based Parkson Retail Group Ltd (PRG) is diversifying its businesses in China to face challenges affecting the retail industry amid the country's “new normal” of slower economic growth.

PRG's Chief financial officer Sam Au said the group, which opened its first store in China in Beijing in 1994, is now actively engaging new formats as part of its transformation.

Among its new endeavours are acquiring distribution rights of fashion brands for the Chinese market and bringing in F&B brands into the mainland.

Au stressed that PRG is the sole distributor for Spanish fashion brand Mango men in China and distributor for Mango women in selected cities. It is also the master franchisee for Johnny Rockets (American diner-style restaurant), Quiznos (American brand offering submarine sandwiches) and Library Coffee Bar.

These brands, together with two of Parkson's own F&B brands Franco (French-Japanese fusion) and Ji Hui (Hainanese chicken rice), are available in Parkson's latest shopping mall in Qingdao, Shandong province.

This venture known as Lion Mall has opened on April 28. The grand opening ceremony will be held later this month. Owned and operated by PRG, the mall is the froup's eighth property in China.

Au said Parkson has always adopted an asset-light model in mainland and its future plans would be guided by this principle as well. He insisted that PRG would not have expanded so fast if not for this principle.

He said the plus point of owning assets is that PRG does not have to worry about rental pressure. PRG's future expansion would be capital-intensive.

Parkson operates 57 stores in 34 Chinese cities, with Urumqi in Xinjiang province as its furthest expansion point in northwestern China. With a gross floor area of 70,000 sq m, it opened its doors in 2002.

PRG, which owns 51 per cent of the store, leads the operations and management while its partner, A-share listed Xinjiang Youhao Group, holds the remaining 49 per cent.

PRG does not disclose profits of individual stores but Xinjiang outlet is one of the top five contributors to the group, both top line and bottom line, Au said. (SH)

Fibre2Fashion News Desk – India


Must ReadView All

NRF urges US Congress to step in, stop trade war

Apparel/Garments | On 21st Jun 2018

NRF urges US Congress to step in, stop trade war

The National Retail Federation (NRF) recently urged the US Congress...

Courtesy: Connor Group

Textiles | On 21st Jun 2018

Protectionism top threat to textile sourcing: William Connor

Protectionism is the biggest political factor and threat affecting...

Courtesy: Tintex

Textiles | On 21st Jun 2018

'Price ratio is key factor for knitted fabrics market'

The price ratio is a key factor for the global knitted fabrics market ...

Interviews View All

Akash Khetan
Narayan Tex Fab

I find it hard to find professionals in Surat

Neel Sawhney
One Friday

‘The share of kidswear segment in the online sector is still small in...

Smith Vaghasia
Sanado India

Online remains the best destination for shopping

Sandip Bhojani, Manthan Patel

Krypthm Tradelink LLP is a Surat-based manufacturer of westernwear....

Nitesh Mittal

Kusumgar Corporates is a leading manufacturer of technical textiles and...

Vikas Banduke

Softech Controls Private Limited (SCPL) is a part of the Cotmac Group, an...

Johan Berlin
InvestKonsult Sweden AB

Investkonsult Sweden AB has been buying and selling second-hand textile...

Ashok Desai
Bombay Textile Research Association

Bombay Textile Research Association (BTRA) is a leading name in textile...

Urs Stalder
Sanitized AG

Urs Stalder, CEO, Sanitized AG, talks about the increasing use of hygiene...

Amiben Shroff
Shrujan

From its modest beginning in the late 1960s, Shrujan has grown into a...

Anisha Chaudhari
Threads & Shirts

Threads & Shirts is a freshly-tailored concept providing men/women a...

Judy Frater
Somaiya Kala Vidya

Among the many honours showered on Frater, including Fulbright and Ford...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


June 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search