- The JV combines Tesco’s best-in-class retail practices, international sourcing and digital/ecommerce capabilities with CRE’s strong local knowledge and brand to create a business with sales approaching £10bn, in which Tesco will have a 20% stake.
- The JV will be the leading retailer in seven of the eight most populous and highest GDP provinces in China.
-Tesco will combine its 134 Chinese stores as well as its Chinese shopping mall business (together “Tesco China”) with the China Resources Vanguard business (“CRV”) of 2,986 stores.
- The JV will secure significant synergies from combining the two operations.
- Tesco will make a cash contribution to the JV of HK$2,325m (c.£185m)
-Tesco will also make a payment of HK$1,000m (c.£80m) to CRE at completion and a further HK$1,000m (c.£80m) on the first anniversary of completion.
- Tesco will have two seats on the board of a maximum of 10 members.
- Completion is expected in the first half of 2014, subject to regulatory and CRE shareholder approval.
Philip Clarke, Chief Executive Officer of Tesco:
“We are delighted to work with CRE to create the leading Chinese retail business. Through this deal we have a strong platform in one of the world’s most exciting markets and it will move us more quickly to profitability in China. T
"his is very good news for customers and shareholders and a further demonstration of our commitment to build sustainable, profitable businesses, establish multichannel leadership in all of our markets and pursue disciplined international growth.”
Hong Jie, Chief Executive Officer of CRE:
“Along with the internationalization of the Chinese economy, CRE has developed successful partnerships with many well-known international companies in China. We are excited about continuing this track record of our retail business by joining forces with Tesco.
"The Joint Venture brings together the individual strengths and advantages of Tesco and CRE, a compelling combination of local customer insights and international retail best practice, creating success and value for both groups, as well as propelling the internationalization of China's retail industry. The partnership will be strongly placed to lead the development of retailing in China and create value for shareholders and customers.”
Textiles | On 25th May 2017
Huntsman Corporation and Clariant have announced that their boards of ...
Apparel/Garments | On 25th May 2017
European cities were the preferred new destination for international...
Maa Tex Speciality
‘We suggest reducing dosage of sizing chemicals to reduce sludge...
We are using Facebook and Instagram to promote ourselves
Palod Himson Machines
Fabric processing machines are picking up
Swerea IVF AB
Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...
Technical Absorbents Ltd
Mark Paterson, R&D manager of Technical Absorbents Ltd talks about Super...
Coating at a fibre level is a practice not usually seen in the...