- The JV combines Tesco’s best-in-class retail practices, international sourcing and digital/ecommerce capabilities with CRE’s strong local knowledge and brand to create a business with sales approaching £10bn, in which Tesco will have a 20% stake.
- The JV will be the leading retailer in seven of the eight most populous and highest GDP provinces in China.
-Tesco will combine its 134 Chinese stores as well as its Chinese shopping mall business (together “Tesco China”) with the China Resources Vanguard business (“CRV”) of 2,986 stores.
- The JV will secure significant synergies from combining the two operations.
- Tesco will make a cash contribution to the JV of HK$2,325m (c.£185m)
-Tesco will also make a payment of HK$1,000m (c.£80m) to CRE at completion and a further HK$1,000m (c.£80m) on the first anniversary of completion.
- Tesco will have two seats on the board of a maximum of 10 members.
- Completion is expected in the first half of 2014, subject to regulatory and CRE shareholder approval.
Philip Clarke, Chief Executive Officer of Tesco:
“We are delighted to work with CRE to create the leading Chinese retail business. Through this deal we have a strong platform in one of the world’s most exciting markets and it will move us more quickly to profitability in China. T
"his is very good news for customers and shareholders and a further demonstration of our commitment to build sustainable, profitable businesses, establish multichannel leadership in all of our markets and pursue disciplined international growth.”
Hong Jie, Chief Executive Officer of CRE:
“Along with the internationalization of the Chinese economy, CRE has developed successful partnerships with many well-known international companies in China. We are excited about continuing this track record of our retail business by joining forces with Tesco.
"The Joint Venture brings together the individual strengths and advantages of Tesco and CRE, a compelling combination of local customer insights and international retail best practice, creating success and value for both groups, as well as propelling the internationalization of China's retail industry. The partnership will be strongly placed to lead the development of retailing in China and create value for shareholders and customers.”
Textiles | On 28th Mar 2017
The Government of India is likely to impose anti-dumping duty on...
Apparel/Garments | On 28th Mar 2017
The Competition Commission (CCI) of India has approved the proposal...
Textrade International Ltd
We believe in vocational education for entry-level employees, offering...
‘Buying crowdsourced or creative designs are much more appealing to the...
'Worsted wool is the ideal fabric for menswear'
Iago Castro Asensio
RCfil Distribuciones S.L.
Iago Castro Asensio, International Business Manager of RCfil...
Coating at a fibre level is a practice not usually seen in the...
InvestKonsult Sweden AB
Investkonsult Sweden AB has been buying and selling second-hand textile...
Apparel/Garments | On 27th Mar 2017