Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / Levis clothing recycling program reaches all its US stores
Levis clothing recycling program reaches all its US stores
23
Jul '15
Levi Strauss & Co. said it has expanded its clothing recycling initiative to all Levi's mainline and outlet stores in the United States.

In a press release, the denim jeans marketer added that is making it easier for consumers to recycle clothing and shoes.

“This underscores our commitment to sustainability by reducing the volume of waste sent to landfills and creating an infrastructure that supports a circular economy by 2020,” it informed.

According to Levis, consumers may drop off any brand of clean, dry clothing or shoes in the collection boxes, who in turn will receive a voucher for 20 per cent off on a single, regular-priced Levi's item in-store.

Following the recent launch of the new Levi's denim collection for women, this expanded recycling effort supports the introduction of Friday Fashion Exchange events.

Friday Fashion Exchange events invite women to try on the new collection and bring their gently worn jeans for recycling.

“We are thinking about sustainability across all facets of our business and how to shift consumer behaviour to make recycling clothing the norm,” Michael Kobori, vice president of sustainability at Levis said.

“As an industry leader, we consider all phases of our product lifecycle, including stages beyond our direct control like the product's end point,” he too added.

He further added, “Collecting used clothing at our stores makes it simple and easy for consumers to do their part and builds upon our commitment to do the right thing for the environment.”

Expanding clothing and shoe recycling is the latest endeavour in the company's broader sustainability goal of creating an infrastructure that supports a circular economy by 2020.

In the apparel industry, this refers to designing a product from cradle-to-cradle rather than cradle-to-grave.

In 2014, with its pilot of Wellthread, Levis designers created 100 per cent recyclable products from a single fibre like cotton, which not only met durability expectations of consumers, but could also be easily remade into new garments.

“Recycling clothing by separating fibres and creating new garments reduces the need for virgin cotton, generating significant water and other environmental resource savings,” the company noted.

Since then, Levis has made strides in also reducing its water usage, saving more than 1 billion litres of water through its WaterLess finishing process.

While many consumers are familiar with recycling bottles, cans and paper, most still throw away clothing and annually, Americans discard more than 28 billion pounds of unwanted clothing, textiles and shoes.

Charitable organisations and others collect roughly 15 per cent of these items, while the remaining 85 per cent or 24 billion pounds end up in landfills. (AR)

Fibre2Fashion News Desk - India

Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 25th Mar 2017

GST to positively impact retail value chain: CBRE

The implementation of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) bill in India...

Textiles | On 25th Mar 2017

MEGlobal to build first ever US MEG plant

Monoethylene glycol (MEG) producer MEGlobal plans to construct a new...

Courtesy: Ulster Carpet

Textiles | On 25th Mar 2017

Ulster Carpets acquires Griffith Textile Machines

Northern Ireland based manufacturer of carpets, Ulster Carpets said...

Interviews View All

Siddharth Biyani
Mangalam Industries Pvt Ltd

‘The manufacturing sector is improving day-by-day, becoming better in...

Victor Chao
Esmetex

‘In future, clothing boundary lines will become increasingly blurred.’

DK Sharma
Velocity Apparelz

We constantly communicate with employees at all levels

Kai Poehler
Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG

The glass mat industry is growing by five to eight per cent annually. Kai...

Steve Cole
Xerium Technologies

Steve Cole of Xerium Technologies discusses the industry. Xerium is the...

Iago Castro Asensio
RCfil Distribuciones S.L.

Iago Castro Asensio, International Business Manager of RCfil...

Ritu Kumar
Label Ritu Kumar

‘Classics will return’ "There are a lot of people wearing western clothes ...

Madhu Jain
Madhu Jain

She grew up in the walled city of Old Delhi, completed her studies, and...

Judy Frater
Somaiya Kala Vidya

Among the many honours showered on Frater, including Fulbright and Ford...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH
March 2017

March 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

SUBSCRIBE


Browse Our Archives

GO


eNEWS
Insights
Subscribe today and get the latest News update in your mail box.
Advanced Search