Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / Marks & Spencer inks JV with Reliance Retail
Marks & Spencer inks JV with Reliance Retail
19
Apr '08
Marks and Spencer Group plc (Marks & Spencer) announces an agreement to enter into a joint venture with Reliance Retail, part of the Reliance Industries Group, with the goal of establishing Marks & Spencer as a major retail brand in India.

Subject to the satisfaction or waiver of certain conditions, including the receipt of approval from the Foreign Investment Promotion Board of the Government of India, Marks & Spencer will take a 51% interest in Marks and Spencer Reliance India Pvt Ltd¹ with Reliance Retail taking the remaining 49%.

The value of the initial investment into the JV will be up to £29m (in cash or in kind) between the parties, with both parties agreeing to provide further funding in the future.

The new joint venture will have the right to operate Marks & Spencer stores in India selling items such as women's, men's and children's clothing as well as homewares.

It will aim to open at least 50 new stores in India over the next five years. It is envisaged that Planet Retail, Marks & Spencer's existing franchise partner in India, will continue as a franchisee in respect of the 14 existing franchise stores.

This announcement is part of Marks & Spencer's plans to grow its international business to 15-20 per cent of Group revenues within the next five years.

Sir Stuart Rose, Chief Executive, Marks & Spencer said:
“India is a very exciting opportunity for Marks & Spencer and a market where there is the potential for M&S to become a major retail brand.


Must ReadView All

Apparel/Garments | On 23rd Sep 2017

AAFA urges negotiators to preserve TPLs in NAFTA

The American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA), an alliance of...

Textiles | On 23rd Sep 2017

SIMA urges Centre to re-look duty drawback rates

he Southern India Mills’ Association (SIMA) has appealed to the...

Textiles | On 23rd Sep 2017

PKR 690.65-mn budget for Pakistan Cotton Committee

The Pakistan Central Cotton Committee (PCCC) recently approved a PKR...

Interviews View All

Karel Williams
Dow Microbial Control

'Silvadur is most rapidly adopted in areas where hygiene-conscious and...

Amrit Sethia
SOIE

‘The intimatewear category in India is slowly becoming trend-sensitive.’

Rashi Menda
Zapyle

Every fifth sale we make on Zapyle is a repeat purchase

Marten Alkhagen
Swerea IVF AB

Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...

Giorgio Mantovani
Corman S.p.A

Giorgio Mantovani, MD of Corman, with a presence in both Milano and New...

Mark Paterson
Technical Absorbents Ltd

Mark Paterson, R&D manager of Technical Absorbents Ltd talks about Super...

Madhu Jain
Madhu Jain

She grew up in the walled city of Old Delhi, completed her studies, and...

Karan Arora
Karan Arora

Bridal couture created with rich Indian heritage, exquisite craftsmanship...

Pranav Mishra
Huemn

Designers Pranav Mishra and Shyma Shetty’s Huemn is known for its...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

September 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes
74.5%
No
12.8%
Skip
12.8%

Total Votes: 47

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes
61.7%
No
25.5%
Skip
12.8%

Total Votes: 47

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes
87.2%
No
6.4%
Skip
6.4%

Total Votes: 47

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.

Active Poll

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes
70.2%
No
10.6%
Skip
19.1%

Total Votes: 47


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search