J.Crew Group announces Q1 fiscal 2011 results
J.Crew Group Inc announced financial results for the three months ended April 30, 2011 (first quarter fiscal 2011).
The results below reflect the Company's performance for the "combined period" consisting of the period prior to its acquisition ("predecessor period") by affiliates of TPG Capital, L.P. and Leonard Green & Partners, L.P. in the first quarter of fiscal 2011, as well as the period after completion of the acquisition ("successor period"). The acquisition was completed on March 7, 2011.
The addition of the predecessor and successor period amounts to present ("combined") totals is not consistent with GAAP and may yield results that are not comparable on a period-to-period basis due to the changes of accounting basis during these periods. For purposes of comparing results of operations to prior periods, however, the Company believes that it is a meaningful way to present the results of operations for the quarter ended April 30, 2011.
First quarter highlights:
• Revenues decreased 1% to $409.5 million. Comparable company sales decreased 3% as compared to an increase of 16% in the first quarter of fiscal 2010. Comparable company sales include comparable store sales, direct sales and shipping and handling revenues. Store sales decreased 3% to $281.2 million, with comparable store sales decreasing 6%. Comparable store sales increased by 15% in the first quarter of fiscal 2010. Direct sales (Internet and Phone) increased 5% to $120.4 million. Direct sales increased by 20% to $114.4 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2010.
• Gross margin decreased to 44.3% of revenues from 49.0% of revenues in the first quarter of fiscal 2010. The decrease in gross margin was impacted on an operating basis by increased markdowns and promotional selling compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2010 and by amortization of step-up in inventory value and the net impact of favorable/unfavorable store lease amortization which totaled $3.7 million that were recorded in connection with the acquisition.
• Selling, general and administrative expenses increased to $205.2 million from $127.2 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2010. The first fiscal quarter of 2011 includes $32.2 million of transaction expenses, $44.7 million of acquisition related share-based compensation and a $3.4 million increase in depreciation and amortization related to purchase accounting.
• Operating loss was ($24.0) million, or (5.9%) of revenues, compared with operating income of $75.4 million, or 18.2% of revenues, in the first quarter of fiscal 2010. Operating loss in the first quarter of fiscal 2011 was impacted by costs incurred in connection with the acquisition and related purchase accounting.
• Net loss was ($29.9) million compared with net income of $44.7 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2010. The first quarter of fiscal 2011 was impacted by costs incurred in connection with the acquisition, including increased interest expense and related purchase accounting.