Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / Vietnam will make the most of TPP, says Trade Minister
Vietnam will make the most of TPP, says Trade Minister
20
Nov '15
Vu Huy Hoang/Courtesy: moit.gov.vn
Vu Huy Hoang/Courtesy: moit.gov.vn
Vietnam's Industry and Trade Vu Huy Hoang has said that the country will make the most of opportunities presented by the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal, a leading Vietnamese newspaper has reported.

Hoang said apparel products originating in Vietnam would enjoy tariff incentives when exported to Pacific Rim countries. He made the statement while replying to a question by National Assembly (NA) deputy Nguyen Ngoc Hoa of Ho Chi Min City about opportunities and challenges for the apparel industry relating to the TPP at a question-and-answer session at the NA in Hanoi.

But those products must meet the yarn-forward rule, which means producers must use materials starting from yarn which are produced in Vietnam to enjoy low or zero tariffs.

Hoang said the US has agreed to offer tariff incentives for some types of Vietnamese apparel made from materials imported from non-TPP member states. He said 184 out of 186 apparel items will not be affected by the yarn-forward rule. “This means Vietnamese apparel will be given tax incentives even if the country is unable to produce yarn.”

But he conceded that the 184 products make up only 15 per cent of the TPP market while the proportion of the remaining two is a hefty 85 per cent. Therefore, a majority of apparel producers will have to abide by the rule.

“The TPP is a chance to enhance the domestic production capacity. If enterprises keep relying heavily on imported materials, they would be confined to the outsourcing job,” Hoang said.

The current localization rate of apparel products is 50 per cent, much higher than a decade ago. In the national development strategy for the textile-garment sector, the Government encourages more domestic and foreign investments in weaving and knitting facilities, the report said. (SH)

Fibre2Fashion News Desk – India


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

Govt constitutes GST Feedback and Action Room

The Government of India has constituted a Feedback and Action Room...

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

India’s cotton textile exports fell in FY17: Tamta

The overall export of cotton textiles from India declined in 2016-17...

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

Stella McCartney, Bolt Threads partner for eco fashion

Fashion designer Stella McCartney has partnered with Bolt Threads for ...

Interviews View All

Amrit Sethia
SOIE

‘The intimatewear category in India is slowly becoming trend-sensitive.’

Nishank Patel
Shri Dinesh Mills Limited

Broad range of fabrics will sell well this financial year

Luke Otten
Wigwam Mills Inc

Wigwam aims to recycle discarded yarn that doesn’t make it through the...

Silke Brand-Kirsch
Schlegel und Partner

Silke Brand-Kirsch, executive partner of Schlegel und Partner, a leading...

Lynda Kelly
Suominen Corporation

Suominen Corporation is a manufacturer of nonwovens as roll goods for...

Giorgio Mantovani
Corman S.p.A

Giorgio Mantovani, MD of Corman, with a presence in both Milano and New...

Judy Frater
Somaiya Kala Vidya

Among the many honours showered on Frater, including Fulbright and Ford...

Karan Arora
Karan Arora

Bridal couture created with rich Indian heritage, exquisite craftsmanship...

Silvia Venturini Fendi
Fendi s.r.l

"Yes, my confidence and positive attitude are my strengths and should be...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

July 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search



X