Dr P. R. Roy joins fibre2fashion
Dr P.R. Roy has joined www.fibre2fashion.com as a member of our Board of Directors on 1st July, 2009.
Dr P.R. Roy is a PhD in textiles from the University of Manchester, UK and a former Group Chief Executive (Textiles) of Arvind Mills Ltd based in Ahmedabad, India, and has over 40 years of rich experience in industry, research and teaching. He is an expert in textiles and is also revered as “Father of Denim in India”.
In the initial years of his career he was associated with Academic Institutions in Research and Teaching. In 1972, he joined Arvind Mills, Ahmedabad. As Manager (R&D), he built up a unique team of Scientists & Technologists for the first time in Indian Textile Industry dedicated to Product & Process developments, energy conservations, pollution control, etc. Eventually he became primarily responsible for reshaping Arvind Mills when it was facing a major onslaught of the decentralized sector through the introduction of an internationally highly demanded Indigo Denims.
This happened for the first time in India and the American Press / Media hailed him as ' Father of Denim in India'. Within a short period, Arvind became one of the leading global players in Denim.
Dr. Roy was instrumental for identifying and setting up of Arvind's future businesses such as high value Shirtings, Bottom weights (Khakis) and Knits which all have become strategic business units for the company today.
He further moved to become the Group Chief Executive (Textiles) and in close association with the McKinsey, USA - a leading global Management Consulting firm, took up the challenge of formulating, negotiating and finalizing various Strategic alliances with the leading American and European Textile firms.
Dr. Roy, as Management Consultant (Textiles), is currently advising various Textile Mills to shape up their future directions extending technical and managerial support.
Some of his recent assignments are as below:
- Member of the Board of Directors - Malwa Group, Ludhiana
- Immediate Past National President, The Textile Association of India ( TAI )
- Specially invited as the only Indian Top Executive to be an expert panel member along with China's Textile Minister at ITMA' 03, Birmingham, UK at the unique session on 'China'.
- Chairman, Research Advisory Committee , ATIRA , Ahmedabad
- Past Chairman , Research Advisory Committee , CIRCOT , Mumbai
- Former Chairman , Cotton and Cotton Products Sectional Committee – TDC 2 ( BIS )
- Represented India with the BIS at Tanzania and Manchester International Standard meets (ISO)
- Expert member, Sub group - Yarns and Fabrics - IXth Five year plan (Ministry of Textiles)
- Former Deputy Chairman, Textile Council, CII, New Delhi
- Expert Member, Evaluation Committee to formulate Textile Policy, Govt. of Gujarat
- Worked as an expert member for planning commission to evaluate the working of Textile ResearchAssociations.
- Expert Member - TEXPROCIL Trade Delegations to Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Chile and also to Austria and UK on UNDP Jute Project.
We are delighted to have him on the board.
Fibre2fashion News Desk - India