Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Colchas Mexico invests in new Monforts Montex stenter
Colchas Mexico invests in new Monforts Montex stenter
04
Apr '12
Colchas Mexico SA de CV, a long-established specialist manufacturer of bedding materials and home textiles based in Mexico City, has invested in a new Montex 6500 stenter in order to increase its production and reduce unit costs.

The eight-chamber machine was delivered and installed by Sattex, the Monforts distributor for Mexico.

Colchas had originally installed a Montex 5000 in the year 2000, a machine that is still running, and the new installation is working alongside the older stenter.

"The earlier machine, also an eight-chamber unit, is still doing a very dependable job," says the company's general manager for home textiles production Manel Alcaraz. "In fact last year we upgraded the computerised control system.

"But we needed to double our stenter capacity, and as we have had such good experience with the earlier machine, we decided to purchase a second Monforts Montex."

Colchas produces everything in the bedding and home textiles range from greige goods to finished products, with 80% of its production for the local Mexican market and the remaining 20% for export to the USA

Following Mexico's entry into the North America Free Trade Agreement with the US and Canada, North American business was important for the country's textiles industry for almost two decades.

Over the past decade, however, Asian and Central American countries have not only become cheaper to operate from than Mexico, they have challenged the Mexicans on quality.

China has replaced Mexico as the top supplier of textiles and apparel to the US, and continues to grow while Mexico's market share falls. In addition, Mexico was badly affected by the economic crisis. Now, with confidence returning, the Mexican textiles and garments sector is beginning to invest.

Colchas was founded in 1959 and has been exporting since 1990.

The new Montex is a 320-cm wide stenter that is handling material widths between 1.6 and 3 m, and fabrics weighing between 95 and 115 gm/m2.

Mr Alcaraz says that, working on a 24-hour basis, with four days off per month for maintenance, the new machine is processing around 1 million metres per month.

"We have in effect doubled our production capacity, which now stands at 2 million metres," he says. "Our quality control we have always been happy with, as the original Montex has allowed us to work at optimum international quality levels.

"Now, by doubling our capacity, we are able to bring our production costs down. That means we can make our prices more competitive both for the local and export markets. Also we have more flexibility in production time, and can undertake short runs and long runs according to demand, without having to worry about disruptions to the output.

"So I would say that we are now on a very competitive footing."

Monforts


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 22nd Jun 2017

Zund unveils cradle feeder roll-feed system for fabrics

Zund Systemtechnik AG, Switzerland’s textile machinery firm that...

Textiles | On 22nd Jun 2017

Hpfabrics opening production facility in Forsyth County

Hpfabrics, manufacturer of raw fabrics, is opening a new production...

Courtesy: Napapijri

Apparel/Garments | On 22nd Jun 2017

Napapijri's Superlight Parka is free of fur and down

Napapijri has introduced the new Superlight Parka, a new lightweight...

Interviews View All

Amrit Sethia
SOIE

‘The intimatewear category in India is slowly becoming trend-sensitive.’

Vasanth Kumar
Max Fashion India

‘Traditional high-street retailers are now willing to offer franchisees to ...

Karan Suratwala
Key Textile Accessories Private Limited

Chinese imports are destroying the supply chain

Larry L Kinn
Suominen Corporation

Larry L Kinn, Senior Vice President - Operations Americas of Suominen...

Mark Paterson
Technical Absorbents Ltd

Mark Paterson, R&D manager of Technical Absorbents Ltd talks about Super...

Kerem Durdag
Biovation II LLC

Kerem Durdag, CEO, Biovation II LLC, provides an insight into future...

Yash P. Kotak
Bombay Hemp Company

One of the directors of Bombay Hemp Company, Yash P. Kotak, speaks to...

Karan Arora
Karan Arora

Bridal couture created with rich Indian heritage, exquisite craftsmanship...

Aditi Somani
Aditi Somani

Aditi Somani specialises in luxury fusion wear with international cuts and ...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

news category


Related Categories:
June 2017

June 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

SUBSCRIBE


Browse Our Archives

GO


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search