Sales up 13% at mattress fabrics maker Culp in Q2 FY'12
Culp, Inc. reported financial and operating results for the second quarter and six months ended October 28, 2012.
Fiscal 2013 Second Quarter Highlights:
- Net sales were $65.6 million, up 13.0 percent, with mattress fabric sales up 12.6 percent and upholstery fabric sales up 13.6 percent, as compared with the same quarter last year.
- Pre-tax income was $4.5 million, up from $2.9 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2012.
- Adjusted net income (non-GAAP) was $3.9 million, or $0.31 per diluted share, for the current quarter, compared with $2.3 million, or $0.18 per diluted share, for the prior year period.
- Net income (GAAP) was $8.3 million, or $0.67 per diluted share, compared with net income of $6.3 million, or $0.49 per diluted share, in the prior year period. Net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 included an income tax benefit of $3.7 million, while net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 included an income tax benefit of $3.4 million.
- The company’s financial position remained strong with a total cash position of $28.7 million and total debt of $7.7 million as of October 28, 2012, even after spending $4.6 million on stock repurchases and making a $2.6 million principal and interest payment during the quarter.
- The company repurchased 455,299 shares during the quarter for a total of $4.6 million.
- The company announced today the payment of a special cash dividend of $0.50 per share, and the acceleration of payment of the scheduled January 2013 quarterly cash dividend of $0.03 per share, both payable in December 2012.
Fiscal 2013 Year to Date Highlights
- Year to date sales were $134.7 million, up 13.9 percent from the same period a year ago, with mattress fabrics segment sales up 15.2 percent and upholstery fabrics segment sales up 12.2 percent over the same period a year ago.
- Year to date pre-tax income was $9.9 million, up from $5.8 million for the same period last year.
- Year to date adjusted net income (non-GAAP) was $8.4 million, or $0.67 per diluted share, compared with $4.8 million, or $0.37 per diluted share, for the prior year period.
- Net income (GAAP) was $11.8 million, or $0.94 per diluted share, compared with net income of $8.1 million, or $0.62 per diluted share, for the same period a year ago. Year to date net income included a $1.9 million income tax benefit, while net income for the previous year included a $2.2 million income tax benefit.
- Return on capital was 29 percent, up from 19 percent for the same period a year ago.
- Cash flow from operations was $7.7 million, up from $2.6 million for the same period a year ago.
- As of October 28, 2012, the company has repurchased 1,127,054 shares, or 8.5 percent of its outstanding shares, since June 2011, for a total of $10.4 million at an average price of $9.23 per share.
- The projection for third quarter fiscal 2013 is for overall sales to be 4 to 9 percent higher as compared to the previous year’s third quarter. Pre-tax income for the third quarter of fiscal 2013 is expected to be in the range of $4.0 million to $4.5 million. Pre-tax income for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 was $2.9 million.
Click here to read more details: