Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / OCC, LGI ink deal for US$ 850mn PET, PTA JV at Sohar
OCC, LGI ink deal for US$ 850mn PET, PTA JV at Sohar
07
Dec '12
courtesy: Oman Daily Observer
courtesy: Oman Daily Observer
Oman Oil Company (OOC) has inked a US$ 850 million joint venture (JV) deal with Korea-based LG International (LGI) for setting up a Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) and Poly Ethylene Terephthalate (PET) project in Port of Sohar, Oman, by 2016.
 
As pet the agreement, it is proposed to form a new JV firm to establish a petrochemical plant at Port of Sohar in two phases, in lines with international norms. OOC would have 70 percent ownership in the new firm, while LG International would hold the rest 30 percent stake, Oman Daily Observer said.
 
Upon commissioning, the new facility is intended to support annual production of 1.1 million tonnes of PTA and 500,000 tonnes of PET.
 
Nasser bin Khamis al Jashmi, Under-Secretary of the Ministry of Oil and Gas and Chairman of OOC and Kent Lee, Senior Vice-President LG International inked the deal on behalf of their respective organizations.
 
In a media statement, Mr. Jashmi said that establishment of the new facility is a key investment project aimed at further fortifying PET based downstream projects. Besides, it would also further advanced training and enhanced job opportunities to Omani citizens.
 
The project, Mr. Jashmi said, upholds the economic significance of implementing diversified industrial projects in Port of Sohar and also backs the Government’s efforts towards diversifying the country’s economy and bringing foreign direct investment in the country.
 
He said the project would boost the national economy by engaging local suppliers and contractors and using facilities of Sohar Port for importing plant machinery and other raw inputs. The plant would use inputs produced in Oman Refineries and Petroleum Industries Company’s (Orpic) Sohar based aromatics facility, he added.
 
Established in 1996, OOC majorly contributes in the Sultanate’s efforts of diversifying the national economy and in attracting domestic and foreign investment.
 
Mr. Lee too highlighted the importance of the project for both the nations and said that they are firm on putting it to operation by 2016, while working in association with OOC.
 

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

India’s cotton textile exports fell in FY17: Tamta

The overall export of cotton textiles from India declined in 2016-17...

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

Warangal textile park gets environment clearance

The Kakatiya Mega Textile Park, coming up in Warangal district of...

Textiles | On 22nd Jul 2017

Stella McCartney, Bolt Threads partner for eco fashion

Fashion designer Stella McCartney has partnered with Bolt Threads for ...

Interviews View All

Spokesperson
Hugo Boss

'Hugo Boss works with carefully selected sourcing partners'

Yash Maniyar
Rekha Maniyar

Indian fashion market is growing at a staggering rate

Shiladitya K Joshi
Truetzschler India Private Limited

India ITME provides a platform to interact with our stakeholders

Larry L Kinn
Suominen Corporation

Larry L Kinn, Senior Vice President - Operations Americas of Suominen...

Paolo Ocleppo
Sandvik Hyperion

Paolo Ocleppo, Rotary Cutting Segment manager, Sandvik Hyperion discusses...

Steve Cole
Xerium Technologies

Steve Cole of Xerium Technologies discusses the industry. Xerium is the...

Madhu Jain
Madhu Jain

She grew up in the walled city of Old Delhi, completed her studies, and...

Prathyusha Garimella
Prathyusha Garimella

Hyderabad-based designer <b>Prathyusha Garimella</b> is known for blending ...

Ritu Kumar
Label Ritu Kumar

‘Classics will return’ "There are a lot of people wearing western clothes ...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

July 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search



X