Production for NSW was up by 21% to 604,000 tonnes for the period, while Queensland's production rose by 6% to 369,000 tonnes.
The ABS also reported the area of land used for agriculture in Australia fell by 1% in 2011-12, to 405 million ha. However, the area planted to crops remained steady over the period at 32.0 million ha.
Of Australia's total land area, approximately 53% was used for agriculture. The highest proportion of use, 79% of state area, was Queensland.
Other key national facts for the period, as reported by the ABS:
-121,000 businesses reported agriculture as their main activity, with beef cattle the largest sector (comprising almost one-third of businesses)
- 14,700 businesses undertook agricultural operations as a secondary activity
- the canola harvest was also the largest on record at 3.4 million tonnes
- wheat production increased by 9% over the previous year, to 29.9 million tonnes
- lupin production increased nationally by 22% to 982,000 tonnes
- the area planted to sugar cane for crushing increased by 10% to 339,000 tonnes, although production only rose by 3% over the previous year to 26.0 million tonnes
Textiles | On 29th Mar 2017
Li & Fung Limited has outlined its next Three-Year Plan (2017-2019)...
Apparel/Garments | On 29th Mar 2017
Carrington Workwear, one of the largest producers of workwear fabrics ...
Studio Priyanka Rajiv
‘To reinvent the age-old tradition of embroidery to suit demographics and...
Palod Himson Machines
Fabric processing machines are picking up
Indian fashion market is growing at a staggering rate
Technical Absorbents Ltd
Mark Paterson, R&D manager of Technical Absorbents Ltd talks about Super...
Sidwin Fabric is a manufacturer and exporter of polypropylene textiles and ...
Schlegel und Partner
Silke Brand-Kirsch, executive partner of Schlegel und Partner, a leading...
Golfwear and menswear brand Devereux is set for greener pastures. Robert...
"Now we can see the Russian trend in international fashion. And Russian...
"We should not compare India and the West. There are things we do that...