Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Argentine textile sector output to touch $8bn in 2015
Argentine textile sector output to touch $8bn in 2015
Jan '14
The Argentine textile industry, one of the hardest hit during the late 90’s, is expected to generate gross production value of US$ 8 billion annually for the next two years, according to a statement on the website of the Ministry of Industry, Government of Argentina.
Over the past decade, Argentine textile and clothing industry has grown by 71 percent, with an average annual increase of 5.5 percent.
During the same period, the textile and apparel industry generated 43,291 new jobs, of which 54 percent were in the textile sector while the remaining 46 percent were in the garment sector. At present, there are 120,000 formally registered direct employees in the sector, but there still remains a high degree of informal employment in the sector.
Industry Minister Debora Giorgi said the importance of manufacturing in industrial chain lies in added value as the price of the final garment is 44 times the value of the raw material.
Argentine exports are mainly towards Brazil and Uruguay, with fibre and yarn accounting for 57 percent, fabrics 22 percent and clothing 16 percent of all textile and garment exports.
The Ministry of Industry is supporting the textiles and apparel sector through financial and technical support. Between 2010 and 2013, through soft loans as the Bicentennial Fund, 26 companies received a total of $315 million, generating $438 million investment. In addition, under the Fonapyme rate program, 908 loans totaling another $143 million were awarded.
In recent years, various textile companies operating in different Argentine provinces made investments in modernization and expanded their production capacities.
The firm Santana Textiles invested $126 million to double the floor area of its plant in Puerto Tirol province of Chaco, adding 300 jobs. Subsequently, in 2013, the company announced a new investment of $254 million for the construction of another plant of 16,000 square meters to produce premium fabrics, designed to provide great brands, which will replace imports in that niche and generate another 300 jobs.
Similarly, in the province of Santiago del Estero, Coteminas spent $96 million for a plant producing towels, dish towels and robes, creating 350 jobs and increasing its annual production capacity to 11,000 tons. In addition, Cardon Group invested $12 million for the production of jeans.
In the area of new product development, Colortex expanded its textile plant in Rioja last year, and in 2014 the company plans to incorporate specific machinery for the manufacture of woven Kevlar yarn, used in making bulletproof vests and other items for the security forces.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India

Must ReadView All

FPCCI prepares report on Pakistan’s export issues

Textiles | On 26th May 2018

FPCCI prepares report on Pakistan’s export issues

Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI)’s...

Courtesy: Detego

Apparel/Garments | On 26th May 2018

Retailers adopting IoT strategies to monitor goods: Report

Retailers are adopting popular IoT strategies to more accurately...

European cities attracted 43% new brands in 2016: Report

Apparel/Garments | On 26th May 2018

European cities attracted 43% new brands in 2016: Report

European cities are the preferred new destination for international...

Interviews View All

Smita Murarka

‘There is huge demand in the Indian lingerie market for non-wired styles.’

Nitin Soni
Dolphin Jingwei Machines

Taxation policies need to be made simpler

Deepak Jain

We are using Facebook and Instagram to promote ourselves

Liz Manning

<div><b>Liz Manning</b>, Business Development Manager at Catexel, has...

Akshat Chaudhary

Aizome, Asia's first Fairtrade denim brand, is all set to launch next...

Harsh Shah

Fynd is the central online shopping destination for fashion, offering...

Silke Brand-Kirsch
Schlegel und Partner

Silke Brand-Kirsch, executive partner of Schlegel und Partner, a leading...

Kai Poehler
Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG

The glass mat industry is growing by five to eight per cent annually. Kai...

Johan Berlin
InvestKonsult Sweden AB

Investkonsult Sweden AB has been buying and selling second-hand textile...

Robert Brunner

Golfwear and menswear brand Devereux is set for greener pastures. Robert...

Akta Adani
India Boulevard

India Boulevard is a San Francisco-based curated fashion marketplace that...

Sanjukta Dutta
Sanjukta's Studio

<b>Sanjukta Dutta</b> creates unique garments by clubbing prints of...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


Letter To Editor

(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies


Leave your Comments

May 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category

Related Categories:

Advanced Search