Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Ethiopian govt sells 60% stake in textile mill to Saygin
Ethiopian govt sells 60% stake in textile mill to Saygin
07
Nov '14
The Ethiopian Government has sold 60 percent of its shares in the Saygin Dima Textile Factory to its Turkish private sector partner company Saygin, Addis Fortune reported.

The Ethiopian Government owned 60 percent shares of the company, while Saygin owned the remaining 40 percent. The Turkish company will pay 563 million Br over five years for 90 percent of the value of the Ethiopian Government’s share, according to reports.

Saygin has paid 10 percent as down payment for the Ethiopian Government’s share of 626.36 million Br, said Wondafrash Assefa, public relations officer of the Privatization & Public Enterprises Supervising Agency (PPESA).

Saygin Dima became operational in January 2011, in Sebeta, 24 km southwest of Addis Ababa. The company employs about 600 Ethiopians at its plant, which spins, weaves and dyes natural and synthetic fibers. The production capacity of Saygin Dima is 30 tons of yarn, 40,000 metres of fiber and 50,000 metres of finished fiber daily, but the factory is currently only operating at 30 percent of its capacity.

PPESA established the textile factory in partnership with Turkish investors in 2009, with a capital of 78.5 million dollars.

As of January 2014, sixteen textile companies from Turkey have obtained licenses for textile manufacturing in Ethiopia.

The Ethiopian Government was expecting export revenue from the textile industry of 350 million dollars in 2013-14, but actually generated only 133 million dollars due to the poor supply of cotton. Hence, the Ethiopian Government has recently established the Ethiopian Industrial Inputs Development Enterprise (EIIDE), which will supply inputs to the manufacturing sector through local production or by national and international procurement. (GK)

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 22nd Jun 2017

Zund unveils cradle feeder roll-feed system for fabrics

Zund Systemtechnik AG, Switzerland’s textile machinery firm that...

Textiles | On 22nd Jun 2017

Hpfabrics opening production facility in Forsyth County

Hpfabrics, manufacturer of raw fabrics, is opening a new production...

Courtesy: Napapijri

Apparel/Garments | On 22nd Jun 2017

Napapijri's Superlight Parka is free of fur and down

Napapijri has introduced the new Superlight Parka, a new lightweight...

Interviews View All

Darshan Mehta
Infinium Polychem

We are spending double digit figures on R&D

Krishnanand Tripathi
Textrade International Ltd

We believe in vocational education for entry-level employees, offering...

Marazban F Velati
Sutlej Textiles & Industries limited

No training can be effective till the candidate believes in it.

Mohammad Hassan
Biax Fiberfilm

About one in every 20 patients picks up an infection while hospitalised....

Marcel Alberts
Eurofibers

Coating at a fibre level is a practice not usually seen in the...

Suresh Patel
Sidwin Fabric

Sidwin Fabric is a manufacturer and exporter of polypropylene textiles and ...

Bani Batra

Bani Batra’s couture wedding collection is inspired by traditional Indian...

Robert Brunner
Devereux

Golfwear and menswear brand Devereux is set for greener pastures. Robert...

Rupa Sood and Sharan Apparao
Nayaab

Nayaab, an exhibition meant to celebrate Indian weaves, is in its second...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

news category


Related Categories:
June 2017

June 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

SUBSCRIBE


Browse Our Archives

GO


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search