Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Textile workers quit jobs under declining wage pressures
Textile workers quit jobs under declining wage pressures
12
Sep '08
Since the start of this year and after the introduction of new labor law, the outflow of workers from textile enterprises has accelerated. This is largely due to the fact that lower wage levels and the intrinsic quality of being a labor intensive industry have compelled a large number of workers to move to other avenues like guesthouses, hotels and other businesses that offers better working environment.

Presently, the average wage of workers in the textile industry is 30 percent lower than those offered in other sectors. Experts believe that it's high time this gap is wage levels be narrowed in order to retain workers.

In fact, a number of enterprises in the coastal areas have been facing recruitment difficulties which directly reflect on how low the level of salary and social welfare is these regions. A survey report revealed that in 2006, social security of China's textile industry related worker accounted for only 11.3 percent of wage income, lower by 10 percentage points than the national average.

Dadong Group based in Nantong is pursuing a practice which has helped in workers getting better wages and social security measures. Inspite of rising input costs, it has largely digested the increase in costs but has also managed to maintain a sales profit margin of about 7 percent.

The enterprise pays 39 percent of the social welfare for workers while the workers themselves pay 16 percent together forming a proportion of 55 percent. The factory also provides workers with subsidized lunch every day at a nominal cost.

Usually, when the pay of workers is higher, it forms about 20 percent of the production costs but presently it accounts for only 15 percent. Even buyers from the US and other overseas market expect that enterprises pay labor insurance to workers.

Moreover, some of the domestic companies have also taken alternative approaches like setting up of technical schools to overcome shortage of trained labour.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - China


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 24th Jul 2017

Govt extends deadline for GST composition scheme to Aug 16

The Government on India has extended the deadline for small...

L-R: Dhanapal, JMD, Best Corporation; Prabhu Damodaran, Convenor, ITF; Narayanasamy, MD, Micro Cotspin; Senthilnathan, MD Rasitex India; and Sabapathy, MD, Prasanna Spinning Mills

Textiles | On 24th Jul 2017

TN mills seek partnership with cotton growing states

Spinning mills in Tamil Nadu are seeking stronger partnership with...

Textiles | On 24th Jul 2017

Irani terms GST as a ‘great step towards transparency’

Union textiles minister Smriti Irani has termed the Goods and...

Interviews View All

Pratik Bachkaniwala
Palod Himson Machines

Fabric processing machines are picking up

Poojaa Kumar Deepak
Zeven

Zeven's performance sports apparel is designed for the Indian body type,...

Nishank Patel
Shri Dinesh Mills Limited

Broad range of fabrics will sell well this financial year

Steve Cole
Xerium Technologies

Steve Cole of Xerium Technologies discusses the industry. Xerium is the...

Mark Paterson
Technical Absorbents Ltd

Mark Paterson, R&D manager of Technical Absorbents Ltd talks about Super...

Silke Brand-Kirsch
Schlegel und Partner

Silke Brand-Kirsch, executive partner of Schlegel und Partner, a leading...

Mike Hoffman
Gildan Activewear SRL

Gildan Activewear, a manufacturer and marketer of branded clothing and...

Madhu Jain
Madhu Jain

She grew up in the walled city of Old Delhi, completed her studies, and...

Sonam & Paras Modi
SVA

Sonam and Paras Modi's Sva Couture is synonymous with head-turning...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

July 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search



X