Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / APTMA calls joint meeting of textile associations on RGST
APTMA calls joint meeting of textile associations on RGST
29
Nov '10
Chairman All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA) Gohar Ejaz has called a meeting of all textile associations on November 30 to evolve a joint strategy on imposition of Reformed General Sales Tax (RGST) on textile industry.

He said 85 percent of the textile products are exported in one or other form and any withdrawal of sales tax exemption on this largest exporting sector of the country would lead to more than Rs400 billion refunds stuck up with the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) for an estimated collection of Rs25 billion Sales Tax on domestic consumption.

It may be noted that the APTMA has already urged the Federal government for continuity of zero rate tax regime for textile industry through a letter to the Standing Committee of National Assembly on Finance.

Gohar said the industry apprehends serious adverse implications of the withdrawal of exemption of zero-rating of the textile industry under the Reformed General Sales Tax (RGST).

He said 85 percent of textile produce is exported in one or the other form, with only 15 percent left for local consumption. Therefore, zero rating of the entire value chain from ginning to garmenting for the export and local supply is imperative to remain competitive in the international market, he added.

He said the petition is based on premise of peculiar fiber procurement processes of the spinning industry, causative liquidity crunch due to inadequate bank limits and unregistered sub-sectors of the textile value chain.

Chairman APTMA reminded that previous imposition of 15 percent sales tax on industry proved a failure and the government had no option but to zero rate the export-oriented industry after realizing that refunds were far in excess of collection of the sales tax.

He said the textile industry again fears a circular debt of Rs100 billion in the form of stuck up refunds with the withdrawal of tax exemption. According to him, unprecedented increase in cotton prices has already crippled textile industry. Therefore, it cannot sustain additional liquidity requirement of 15 percent under the RGST. Banks are reluctant to finance textile industry to procure swelling cotton prices and the SBP regulations do not allow financing of sales tax part, he added.

Gohar also pointed out obtaining adjustments/refunds against sales, as the spinning industry procures cotton in three months and consumes it during twelve months to manufacture and sell yarn to the weaving and knitting industry.

Chairman APTMA said the local supply of textiles and articles thereof should be zero rated in RGST in line with the current Sales Tax Act 1990. Further, he said, domestic supply of all inputs and services used in textile industry should be zero rated to avoid refunds and flying invoices as 80 percent of textile products are being exported in one form or the other.

All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA)


Must ReadView All

Textiles | On 23rd Jun 2017

Textile ministry organises training workshop on GST

The ministry of textiles had organised training workshop on GST which ...

Apparel/Garments | On 23rd Jun 2017

Uware Brands into licensing agreement with Polaroid

Uware Brands has entered into a licensing agreement with Polaroid for ...

Textiles | On 23rd Jun 2017

Ralph Lauren ex-president Tiger of Sweden's new CEO

Hans-Christian Meyer, former president of Ralph Lauren Corporation,...

Interviews View All

Amrit Sethia
SOIE

‘The intimatewear category in India is slowly becoming trend-sensitive.’

Nitin Soni
Dolphin Jingwei Machines

Taxation policies need to be made simpler

C Kamatchisundaram
Voltas

ITME is an occasion not only to receive new leads but also to work on...

Suresh Patel
Sidwin Fabric

Sidwin Fabric is a manufacturer and exporter of polypropylene textiles and ...

Ashok Desai
Bombay Textile Research Association

Bombay Textile Research Association (BTRA) is a leading name in textile...

Steve Cole
Xerium Technologies

Steve Cole of Xerium Technologies discusses the industry. Xerium is the...

Igor Chapurin
Chapurin

"Now we can see the Russian trend in international fashion. And Russian...

Robert Brunner
Devereux

Golfwear and menswear brand Devereux is set for greener pastures. Robert...

Yash P. Kotak
Bombay Hemp Company

One of the directors of Bombay Hemp Company, Yash P. Kotak, speaks to...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

news category


Related Categories:
June 2017

June 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

SUBSCRIBE


Browse Our Archives

GO


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search