Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / Bangladesh's AKH Group opens green factory
Bangladesh's AKH Group opens green factory
10
Feb '16
AKH Group, one of Bangladesh's leading garment exporters, broke new ground, opening an eco-friendly factory at Dhamrai on the outskirts of Dhaka, with a target of exporting products worth $80 million annually.

Named AKH Eco Apparels Ltd, the company spent Tk 150 crore to set up the factory. The company claims the factory will be able to reduce electricity consumption by 1,295 megawatt-hour a year, fuel oil by 325 tonnes and water use by 30 per cent. A quarter of its electricity need will be met through solar power.

The new factory received gold certification from LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), one of the most popular green building accreditation programmes used around the world. Gold is the second highest LEED rating, after platinum.

Commerce minister Tofail Ahmed inaugurated the project while representatives from the US Green Building Council handed over gold category LEED certificate to the factory authorities.

“We started construction of the building in the middle of 2014, when our customers were pushing for such production units,” said Shamsul Alam, managing director of AKH Group, set up in 1997 by three friends at a rented house in Shyamoli with with Tk 52 lakh and 300 workers.

Of the total invested amount in the new venture, 85 per cent came from the company's own funds and the remaining 15 per cent from the local Exim Bank. Its long-term buyers provided technical support.

“If the government can supply us gas with adequate pressure, we can build such eco-apparel buildings every two years, as we have a lot of potential and customers.”

Spread over 13 acres of land, the factory has a rainwater harvesting system. Rainwater will be reused to reduce the consumption of groundwater, the company said.

“For AKH Eco Apparels, its management, employees and customers, the future is now,” said Roger Hubert, H&M's head for Bangladesh and Pakistan. H&M is a major customer of AKH Group.

About 150 factories either open or under construction are applying the green concept. They are the “future of Bangladesh's garment industry”, he said.

“AKH symbolises the new future of Bangladesh. A transformation has been happening in Bangladesh in a new and innovative way,” said Marcia Bernicat, US ambassador to Bangladesh. (SH)

Fibre2Fashion News Desk – India


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 27th Feb 2020

Australia willing to consider FTA with India on RCEP lines

Australia is willing to consider a bilateral free trade agreement...

Pic: Shutterstock

Apparel/Garments | On 27th Feb 2020

Hun Sen asks PRC garment investors not to leave Cambodia

Prime Minister Hun Sen recently again told Chinese garment sector...

Pic: B.Zhou / Shutterstock.com

Retail | On 27th Feb 2020

Retail brands restrict China operations amid COVID-19

The outbreak of COVID-19 is disrupting business dynamics in China....

Interviews View All

Karel Williams, Dow Microbial Control

Karel Williams
Dow Microbial Control

'Silvadur is most rapidly adopted in areas where hygiene-conscious and...

Top executives, Fabric manufacturers

Top executives
Fabric manufacturers

Domestic manufacturers would get an edge over imported products

Pinkesh Jain, Everflow Petrofils Ltd

Pinkesh Jain
Everflow Petrofils Ltd

‘An innovative technology which India needs desperately is the...

N Nithyanandan,

N Nithyanandan

Incorporated in 1999, Purani Textiless Private Limited is one of the...

Tejas N Patel, Navin D Patel,

Tejas N Patel, Navin D Patel

Founded in 1999 by Navin Patel in the name of Tejas Fabrics with 100...

Carolin Russ,

Carolin Russ

Weko, Weitmann & Konrad GmbH & Co KG, based in south Germany, is...

Kerem Durdag, Biovation II LLC

Kerem Durdag
Biovation II LLC

Kerem Durdag, CEO, Biovation II LLC, provides an insight into future...

Urs Stalder, Sanitized AG

Urs Stalder
Sanitized AG

Urs Stalder, CEO, Sanitized AG, talks about the increasing use of hygiene...

Marcel Alberts, Eurofibers

Marcel Alberts
Eurofibers

Coating at a fibre level is a practice not usually seen in the...

Sanjukta Dutta, Sanjukta's Studio

Sanjukta Dutta
Sanjukta's Studio

<b>Sanjukta Dutta</b> creates unique garments by clubbing prints of...

Adriano Goldschmied, AG Jeans

Adriano Goldschmied
AG Jeans

The hype around 'designer jeans' was created by him. And the new wave of...

Sweta Tantia, Tahweave & Garo

Sweta Tantia
Tahweave & Garo

Designer Sweta Tantia owns Garo, a couture indutva or ethnicwear brand,...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


February 2020

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search