Robert Hanson, Chief Executive Officer, stated, “Our second quarter results reflected disappointing product execution in women’s. Additionally, we faced a highly promotional and competitive retail landscape and a decline in traffic, which have continued into the third quarter.
“We are working hard to strengthen our assortments, marketing efforts and overall execution, while maintaining tight inventories and disciplined expense management. Although extremely disappointed with our results, I’m confident in the strength of our brands, our strategic initiatives including, factory stores, aerie, omni-channel and international, as well as the team’s resolve to regain momentum and improve our bottom line performance.”
Second Quarter 2013 Non-GAAP Results
The following discussion is based on Non-GAAP results for the comparable quarter last year, as presented in the accompanying GAAP to Non-GAAP reconciliations.
- Total net revenue decreased 2% to $727 million, compared to $740 million last year.
- Consolidated comparable sales, including AEO Direct, decreased 7%, compared to an 8% increase last year. Second quarter 2013 comparable sales are compared to the 13 weeks ended August 4, 2012.
- Gross profit decreased 11% to $245 million and, as a rate to revenue, decreased 360 basis points to 33.8%. The decline is primarily the result of higher markdowns and the deleverage of rent on negative -comps.
- Selling, general and administrative expense of $186 million increased 5% from last year and deleveraged 160 basis points to 25.6% as a rate to revenue.
- Operating income decreased 56% to $29 million, resulting in a rate of 4.1% compared to 9.1% last year.
- EPS of $0.10 compared to adjusted EPS from continuing operations of $0.21 last year, a 52% decrease.
Click here to read full results
American Eagle Outfitters
Apparel/Garments | On 17th Feb 2019
The garment industry can create the maximum job opportunities in...
Textiles | On 17th Feb 2019
Messe Frankfurt representatives recently urged Bangladesh’s textile...
Mohammad Mamun Ar Rashid
UL VS Bangladesh Ltd
Productivity, creativity and innovation play a vital role in the growth of ...
Balavigna Weaving Mills Pvt Ltd
The biggest challenge that the weaving industry faces is high price
‘In future, clothing boundary lines will become increasingly blurred.’
No Nasties was the first fashion brand in India to make 100 per cent...
Based out of South Delhi, Gargee Designer's provides bespoke formal and...
Vyom International Pvt Ltd, established in 2002, is one of Surat's leading ...
Directa Plus SpA
Established in 2005, Direct Plus SpA, is one of the largest producers and...
Biovation II LLC
Kerem Durdag, CEO, Biovation II LLC, provides an insight into future...
University of New South Wales
<div><div><div><div><b>Melissa Tate</b>, a well-known scientist currently...
"We should not compare India and the West. There are things we do that...
Silvia Venturini Fendi
"Yes, my confidence and positive attitude are my strengths and should be...
The hype around 'designer jeans' was created by him. And the new wave of...