Robert Hanson, Chief Executive Officer, stated, “Our second quarter results reflected disappointing product execution in women’s. Additionally, we faced a highly promotional and competitive retail landscape and a decline in traffic, which have continued into the third quarter.
“We are working hard to strengthen our assortments, marketing efforts and overall execution, while maintaining tight inventories and disciplined expense management. Although extremely disappointed with our results, I’m confident in the strength of our brands, our strategic initiatives including, factory stores, aerie, omni-channel and international, as well as the team’s resolve to regain momentum and improve our bottom line performance.”
Second Quarter 2013 Non-GAAP Results
The following discussion is based on Non-GAAP results for the comparable quarter last year, as presented in the accompanying GAAP to Non-GAAP reconciliations.
- Total net revenue decreased 2% to $727 million, compared to $740 million last year.
- Consolidated comparable sales, including AEO Direct, decreased 7%, compared to an 8% increase last year. Second quarter 2013 comparable sales are compared to the 13 weeks ended August 4, 2012.
- Gross profit decreased 11% to $245 million and, as a rate to revenue, decreased 360 basis points to 33.8%. The decline is primarily the result of higher markdowns and the deleverage of rent on negative -comps.
- Selling, general and administrative expense of $186 million increased 5% from last year and deleveraged 160 basis points to 25.6% as a rate to revenue.
- Operating income decreased 56% to $29 million, resulting in a rate of 4.1% compared to 9.1% last year.
- EPS of $0.10 compared to adjusted EPS from continuing operations of $0.21 last year, a 52% decrease.
Click here to read full results
American Eagle Outfitters
| On 18th Jun 2021
The United Kingdom has struck a deal with the United States on the...
Bangladesh's garment industry can reduce its annual spending by $0.5...
Price of caprolactam in Chinese market is expected to rise moderately ...
Cannot see the world breaking away from cotton & polyester
Marry craft and utility
Still struggling to mop up higher sales
Established in 2017 and headquartered New York, the label Harleen Kaur...
Rishav Bajoria & Subham Sengupta
Launched in October 2020, the Gumti app could not have come at a more...
Established in 2018, Forsarees is a socially driven business enterprise,...
MIP is a manufacturer and distributor of high-performance textiles and...
Pranesh Sridharan & Berndt Koll
The Lenzing Group produces Lenzing Lyocell and Modal cellulosic fibres of...
Non Woven Federation of India
The Non Woven Federation of India (NWFI), representing the regional...
Shalini Sharma & Shweta Pundir Sharma
Six Yard Story
Six Yard Story is a premium artisanal brand with a focus to bring handloom ...
The creations by Aprajita Toor were born out of a deep desire to create...
Gramin Vikas Evam Chetna Sansthan
Ruma Devi is a jet-setting promoter of artisans who has empowered...
Letter to Editor
Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.
Subscribe today and get the latest information on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel.