Global Apparel Market – An Overview | Watch NOW! | Ad
Home / Knowledge / News / Cotton / Cotton prices move up in Brazilian market last month
Cotton prices move up in Brazilian market last month
03
Mar '18
Cotton prices move up in Brazilian market last month
Oscillations in international prices and the dollar-real exchange rate resulted in an increase in price in Brazil’s domestic market in February 2018. After slow pace of cotton trade in the first fortnight due to the carnival period and the end of new crop sowing activities, processors and traders became more active in the second fortnight.
 
Between January 31 and February 28, the CEPEA/ESALQ (Center for Advanced Studies on Applied Economics/Luiz de Queiroz College of Agriculture) cotton Index rose 3.2 per cent, closing at 2.8417 BRL per pound on February 28, CEPEA said in its latest fortnightly report on the Brazilian cotton market.
 
The second fortnight of the month saw an increase in liquidity in the domestic market and processors aimed to replenish inventories. Buyers prioritised high quality batches but many of them were asking at values lower than offer prices. While sellers were not flexible regarding prices, they agreed to extend payment deadlines. Thus, traders made batches available in the spot market, meeting part of processors’ demand.
 
In terms of contracts for future delivery, the month saw closing of several contracts, to be shipped this semester (cotton from the 2016-17 season), as well as involving cotton from the 2017-18 and the 2018-19 crops. trades involved both fixed prices and/or values to be fixed based on the Index or on contracts at ICE Futures.
 
As of February 20, 69.8 per cent of the 2016-17 cotton crop had been sold, according to the data from BBM (Brazilian Commodity Exchange). Of this total, 59.6 per cent were allocated to the domestic market and 40.4 per cent to the international market.
 
According to a separate data from the secretariat of foreign trade (SECEX), between August 2017 and February 2018, Brazil exported 780,000 tons of cotton. In 2017-18 season, 701,000 tons of cotton have been sold, of which 62.8 per cent were meant for exports while the remaining 37.2 per cent was for the domestic market. (RKS)

Fibre2Fashion News Desk – India


Must ReadView All

Trump signs revised free trade agreement with S Korea

Textiles | On 25th Sep 2018

Trump signs revised free trade agreement with S Korea

President Donald Trump signed a revised free trade agreement with...

'India can take up lack of capacity in US, China markets'

Textiles | On 25th Sep 2018

'India can take up lack of capacity in US, China markets'

India can now take up the lack of capacity in the US and Chinese...

Indonesian textile industry targets exports of $14 bn

Apparel/Garments | On 25th Sep 2018

Indonesian textile industry targets exports of $14 bn

With a January-July 2018 exports figure of $7.74 billion, the...

Interviews View All

Krishnanand Tripathi, Textrade International Ltd

Krishnanand Tripathi
Textrade International Ltd

We believe in vocational education for entry-level employees, offering...

Cyril Pereira, Reed Exhibitions India, organiser of Asian Machine Tool Exhibition 2016

Cyril Pereira
Reed Exhibitions India, organiser of Asian Machine Tool Exhibition 2016

'Major problem in the textile machinery manufacturing industry is the lack ...

Deepak Jain, Baggout

Deepak Jain
Baggout

We are using Facebook and Instagram to promote ourselves

Manoj Sorathiya,

Manoj Sorathiya

Surat-based Sunrise Imports & Exports Co is a manufacturer and...

Franco Ravazzi,

Franco Ravazzi

Italy-based Tessimenti E Orditi Tinti (T.O.T SRL) specialises in stocking...

Erik Sy,

Erik Sy

Manila-based CustomThread is a start-up offering premium custom apparel...

Davide Vigano, Sensoria

Davide Vigano
Sensoria

Sensoria is a leading developer of smart garments and IoMe (Internet of...

Pierre Wiertz, EDANA

Pierre Wiertz
EDANA

Pierre Wiertz talks about the vast world of sustainable nonwovens and...

Eric Scholler, Groz-Beckert

Eric Scholler
Groz-Beckert

The Indian market has huge potential in technical textiles, and by far,...

Akta Adani, India Boulevard

Akta Adani
India Boulevard

India Boulevard is a San Francisco-based curated fashion marketplace that...

Samar Firdos, Arvind Ltd

Samar Firdos
Arvind Ltd

<b>Samar Firdos</b>, Chief Manager (Design) at Lifestyle Apparel Denim...

Pranav Mishra, Huemn

Pranav Mishra
Huemn

Designers Pranav Mishra and Shyma Shetty’s Huemn is known for its...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


October 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search